Chapter 38

What's your favorite TV show (s)?

Mine is American Vandal- it's so funny yet dumb lmfao also One Day at a Time because it's really relatable

-

Two weeks. Two weeks went by so fast and those two weeks gave her the time to process what happened to her. Despite still being utterly shocked, she realized that this was merely a coincidence that unfortunately happens to a lot of women.

But, it didn't assure her that she could go back to being happy so soon. She still needed time to get better.

"Levantanse" (get up), she heard Ricky's rough voice as her eyes opened slowly. Zulema did not respond and instead she covered her face with the blanket.

"You're going to school," he told her, "the teachers will wonder where you are and you already know I can't have any attention on us after last month."

"It's not my fault you got locked up," she mumbled quietly and sniffled.

"Que?" (What)?

"Nada" (nothing), she mumbled and gulped before getting up from the bed. Ricky cursed at her in Spanish and walked out of the room, probably to go do coke or something at a nearby bar.

Ricky didn't know about what happened. It wasn't too difficult to keep it from him since he was hardly home anyway.

It had also been two weeks since she'd gone to school. Lucky one of those weeks was spring break. Every time Harry would try to coax her into going, he'd fail. However he would text her all day long and in between periods to see what she was doing. Zulema mostly ignored his messages or was very boring when she did text him back. She didn't mean to be so rude to him, she just was dealing with her own internal conflicts.

When she got ready, she put extra concealer under her eyes. That way no one would think something bad had happened to her. She didn't like attention. Harry told her that he'd told them she just had the flu.

Harry: Good morning. Are you coming to school today?

Princess: Yeah

Harry: Okay, I will be in front.

Harry: I love you

Princess: Okay

When Harry received the message, it hurt. It hurt because that was the first time she didn't say it back. He decided not to say anything back and instead was already driving to her house.

By the time he got there, Zulema was sitting on the front step with her head in her arms. However, she heard his car pull up and so she got up.

"Hi," Harry said as Zulema got in and closed the door.

"Hi," she mumbled and clutched her bag closer to her chest. Harry saw how empty her bag was and wondered if she did any of the homework he brought home for her.

The ride was silent and when they got to school, she was even more quiet. He supposed he understood why she was this way. But he just wished he knew what exactly she felt. Was she angry? Hurt? Depressed? All of them?

He'd never seen her this way before. Usually when she was upset she made it seem like nothing was wrong. But this time it was so easy to tell something was wrong.