Chapter 20

Thanksgiving was always just another normal day for Zulema. It wasn't anything special. At most times she pretend like it didn't exist simply because Ricky was always high while she'd just go out for some tacos at whatever place was open. Nothing important to her.

She sat in her room, satisfied for thanksgiving break since she'd finally been able to catch up on some homework. So far she'd had all mostly average grades which was actually great for her. It beat having to make up classes all of last year.

At times she wished she was as intelligent as the students around her. She wanted to defy the stereotypes of her people, but there was so much holding her back from being the person she once thought she had the potential in being. It was why having average grades was her idea of academic success.

But besides that she laid down and picked up her sketchbook that she used to sketch in when she was younger. She flipped through the wrinkled pages, smiling at how juvenile her art was as a child. The very first one being a simple flower that her mother taught her how to draw when she was only five.

As she continued to flip, she noticed her drawings matured. Not only physically but mentally. They became more sad as she began to understand society more and more. The flowers were no longer yellow and pink and vivid, but dead. It made zulema frown.

She hadn't drawn since in months. She had this silly portfolio when she thought going to art school was an option. She used to think art was supposed to be this liberating thing for those who are less advantaged. However, seeing the tuition rates proved her wrong once again. It was crazy how she seemed to be letting such a beautiful hobby down. Especially one she was passionate about.

She was about to pick up a pencil, like she usually did, but couldn't get herself to do it. After all she's been through she couldn't get herself back to drawing. At least not now. She didn't know why and it scared her, but everytime she'd try to draw she couldn't.

Zulema felt her phone buzz in her pants and she took it out of her pocket and set her sketchbook down on the little desk she had.

She had a message from Harry which instantly brought a smile to her face.

Harry: happy thanksgiving.

Zulema didn't want to be that person who thought her life was miserable. She didn't want to be that person that said, what's there to be thankful for? Because for her, being in a home with food and nice clothes and her makeup and simply providing for herself was enough to make her grateful. And she wouldn't let Ricky ruin that for her.

Zulema: you too (:

Harry: thanks. Wyd today?

Zulema: nothing much. We don't really celebrate thanks giving

Harry: well... you're welcome to come if you want?

Zulema's eyes widened at the text she'd read over and over again. He was inviting me to his home for a holiday. What do I do? Oh God, oh God.

Zulema: stop it

Harry: stop what?

Zulema: I'm not going to intrude on your family's dinner, I already did that once

Harry: too late I told my mom you were coming

She couldn't help but suppress a small smile. What was he doing to her?

Zulema: NO. I don't want to intrude I really don't

Harry: relax, she wants you to come. Plus it's just us anyway