Chapter 26

She called him several times. He didn't answer any of them. She texted him as well.

Zulema: Answer me

Zulema: Please

Zulema: I'm sorry

She never realized that she would ever have been the one to ask for someone's forgiveness so sincerely. She didn't even have a clue on how to do such a thing.  She was so used to being on her own that the idea of upsetting someone else she cared about was never an occurrence in her life.

She kept thinking over and over everything that happened. How Mori was cruel enough to say something so out of the blue. Zulema didn't even care about the other people Mori may have possibly told; in fact, the whole world could know. She cared that Harry knew. And that was something he would always know and she just couldn't change that.

She even thought that after everything she told him that maybe he'd understand. But, he couldn't have possibly known enough to understand and that's where the differences between the two really presented themselves. As of now, he may just think of her as a lying whore. Maybe not, but that's all Zulema could picture his thought process looked like at the time.

Last night when she got home, Ricky saw her cry her way to her room. He'd never seen her cry so much and it embarrassed Zulema that he had to hear it all night but she didn't care. She had just ruined something with someone she cared about. She never cared about anyone in her entire life. She never had much at stake. And now that she did, she wasn't sure how to even save it.

-

When Harry woke up, the first thing he thought about was how he would go to school and not face her. It had been two days since they talked. Two days since he'd seen her face, heard we voice, felt her skin. He could almost taste her lips as he licked his own, remembering that they had just touched a couple of days ago.

When he got ready, he did it begrudgingly; this was due to the fact that he didn't have anything to look forward to. Harry was never a morning person. He used to hate getting up for school. It was the same old routine. Get up, brush teeth, dress, eat breakfast, go to class, eat lunch, more class, then soccer practice and then go home to eat and sleep. From now on, that was his routine once again. Even with the absence of soccer, he had that after-school program to attend but even that added another layer of stress. 

There was no one to talk to. Not the same way, at least.

When he walked into the kitchen, he saw his mom and dad sitting down. Axel with his feet dangling off the stool seat as he dug into his smoothie bowl. He and Harry made eye contact, but not a word was exchanged. In all honesty, he didn't want their relationship to be this way forever. Of course, Harry was upset with him but he couldn't do that to his mother.

"You want breakfast?" His mother asked.

Harry shook his head. His dad didn't say anything and instead just left the house, deciding it was easier that way. That he didn't have to forcefully talk. He didn't want to be even thinking of his father being mad at him right now. 

Truthfully, he wasn't worried about his relationship with his father. He knew his dad and there wasn't a thing Mark wouldn't do for his kids if they asked. He was simply in a phase of disappointment which every parent went through.

But it was not the same with Zulema. So easily they could detach from each other's lives. She was not someone that biologically had to care for him. In just even a few minutes, she could walk away from him and never have a legal responsibility to come back.

-

"Are you gonna eat your fries?" Antoine asked Harry for the millionth time.

However this time the boy shook his head.