Chapter 39

Zulema went to school today, as promised. However, she wasn't really into anything they were learning. Well only her one honors and AP class were still teaching, but all her other regular ones were just laid back. It made her feel weird because everyone was just talking to each other in those classes, and Zulema didn't talk to any of those people.

Guys used to go up to her all the time and flirt or even just talk to her, but they knew she was dating someone which made them back off. Her old friends didn't even talk to her either. Zulema didn't really feel bad though, because they were fake and talked about her behind her back anyway.

She basically laid her head down the rest of the periods that she didn't have Harry or Benny in, which was most of them.

When they got to her house afterward, she sat down on her bed awkwardly and rested her hands on her lap.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked from her small desk.

Zulema looked up. She sighed realizing that she'd have to face his emotions at last. She needed to stop putting him off.

"I never congratulated you on Stanford," was all she said.

Harry furrowed his brows and looked down at his own hands. Okay. Progress. He told himself. He shrugged, "I mean considering all that's happened, it seems a little silly to do so, don't you think?"

"No," Zulema shook her head, "of course not. I mean, that was your dream. You wanted this and- and I should be happy for you, not sulking around in my own pity."

Harry didn't respond immediately. Instead, he bit his lip and sat down next to her. He grabbed her hand in his, feeling the skin softly. He stared down at her darker skin and how it contrasted against his, and traced circles on it with his thumb.

Zulema watched thoughtfully and closed her eyes.

"You didn't ask for any of this," he spoke quietly, "you raised yourself your whole life, you put yourself through school, worked, and still manage to love me even though I was so mean to you when we first met. You forgave me for hurting you and being angry at you, even though I never really understood the situation in the first place- or understood you. All of this shit that you went through... don't you think you deserve to just think about yourself for once?"

"What about you?" She murmured and raised her other hand to his jaw, "I haven't asked you how you felt or anything. You've been doing my homework, letting me stay, and feeding me and I've done nothing for you-"

"I chose to do all of that, Alright? You don't owe me anything," he shook his head and grabbed the hand that was on his jaw and brought it to his lips. After a small, gentle kiss he brought it down to his lap and squeezed gently. Zulema saw the thick ring on his finger and she played with it for a few seconds, feeling the blue stone with her thumb.

"I love you," she mumbled, "I know that I don't communicate well with you a-and that I've been mean to you, but... I really do love you," she told him in absolute and honest sincerity.

He looked into her eyes for a few seconds and looked down. She could tell he was smiling a little when she saw the slightest of his dimple.

"I know," he started, "You're not used to... this. I get it."

Zulema sniffled a little and then nodded before looking down, "I was feeling really sad these past few weeks. Partially because I lost something that I wasn't sure I wanted to keep... and also for not being in control of that situation. I'm really sorry for acting the way I have-and I know you're gonna say that it's normal to react the way I did, you don't have to tell me. But.. thank you for being here for me," she reached for his hand.