Chapter 32

I'm going to ask questions now because I don't want y'all to feel like random readers but like friends ya know??

Q: Where are you all from?

-

It was hard for Zulema to choose an outfit for the party she'd be attending in only about thirty minutes. There were two reasons. The first: she wasn't content with her outdated clothes. The second: she was stalling. She was stalling because she was practically traumatized over the last high school party she'd gone too. Because that night, she'd almost lost everything and was lucky enough to get it back.

Zulema knew Mori was going to be at today's party because it wasn't like Alisha knew about what she did; there was no reason not to invite her as far as everyone else's concern. Zulema just wasn't sure how to avoid her.

The girl shook her head. She should not be thinking about her. She was just a troubled rich kid was all. Or at least Zulema told herself that, because it was what it seemed like.

"Stop spending so much time looking at yourself in the mirror," Harry sighed from her bed.

"I need to see how I look-" Zulema chuckled awkwardly.

"You're looking for an excuse to change your outfit is what you're doing," he muttered whilst typing on his phone.

"You don't have to wait for me, you know," she sighed and crossed her arms as she met his gaze through the mirror. She honestly did not want to argue.

"That's not what this is about. It's about you trying to find any flaw in yourself to change. You don't show it, but watching you change your clothes quite a bit made me notice I guess."

Zulema didn't say anything as she looked at herself in the mirror again- fuck she was doing it. Making herself feel bad anytime something about her didn't look right. At first it was fun. Trying on new clothes and putting on makeup. It still was. Just got a little different as she got older. Because as you got older, your image was what people expected of you. And then your love for something becomes a chore.

"Fine," she stated, "I will stay in this outfit."

"I'd tell you that you're beautiful but I'm sure you already know that," he breathed as he got up from her bed casually.

She nodded agreeably, "I guess," she then shrugged and flung her hair behind her shoulder.

By the time she was done getting ready they left her quaint room and were greeted, but not really, by an unfriendly face. Ricky always had that straight face on him which showed no emotion- yet so much anger that seem to be building up inside of him. Maybe not anger, but emotion. Zulema couldn't quite decipher anyway.

"Shouldn't you be at work?" Ricky asked, glancing Harry up and down then back at his niece.

Zulema heaved her chest up and down. At the mention of her work, she could feel a certain adrenaline rush through her veins. The adrenaline she got when she lied. Especially when she lied to the person who had power over her.

"I'm on break," she trailed off quietly, hoping Ricky wouldn't cause a scene in front of her boyfriend. Harry stood quiet, waiting. Patiently waiting for the unfortunate part where he'd have to step in the conversation.

"You never take breaks."

"Esta vez, si." (I am this time.) She spoke in Spanish, not wanting Harry to understand this rather embarrassing conversation.