50: WHAT MRS. LANDON KNEW (JASON)

VIDEO above - IT'S RAINING MEN Pride 2015

It was the smell of bacon that awoke me.

I was alone in the den. The afghan was folded neatly on the back of my mom's chair and the book she'd been reading was on the table under the lamp, which was no longer burning. Sunlight was subtly lighting the room through the sheer curtains and Colt was no longer at my side. The hands of the clock on the shelf above the big-screen TV pointed to ten o'clock.

I turned to look and saw that the door to the hall was closed. Even so, I could hear the TV in the kitchen, a man talking with the rapid tones of a reporter. Obviously my mom was in there cooking breakfast and watching a morning show, with Colt sitting nearby eyeing her every move and hoping to get some of the bacon.

I smiled. Yah, totally like it was just another everyday morning in the Landon household.

I tossed the throw I'd been snuggling with onto the back of the couch and grabbed the remote from the coffee table in front of me. The Pride parade in Columbus was supposed to start at ten. I turned the TV on and scrolled over to CNN to see if the parade had started.

There was a split-second picture of Daniel Random sitting in a media booth on the bleachers in front of the capitol building, then the screen changed abruptly to a scene showing a windy night on a remote country road. A group of dark figures could be seen clinging to the shadows as one of them broke away and made its way up to the front door of a lone farmhouse set in a dark copse of trees.

Eerie music was playing as the scene shifted indoors where a geeky-looking college dude was sitting in front of a computer gaping wide-eyed and open-mouthed at a horrific live feed on the monitor. It showed a shadowy room, dimly lit in red, where hooded figures were violently assaulting helpless bound victims as they screamed and shouted in terror.

I sat back in surprise, not having expected to see such a sight. The next moment the words DO YOU DARE ENTER THE FORBIDDEN RED ROOMS? flashed onto the TV screen, accompanied by a sinister male voice speaking them out loud.

Then, immediately, the words were replaced by new ones, THE DEEP WEB: THE DANGERS AND THE DAMNED, in bigger bolder letters, once again spoken with intensity by the announcer.

I felt my heart begin to pound and my hands balled up into fists. The words faded away from the TV screen and one of the hooded figures suddenly appeared in front of the writhing action in the room on the monitor feed, and he looked directly into the camera, startling the dude sitting there. Glowing eyes could be seen within the slits of the hood as they stared right at the boy.

"Dare you answer your door?" the sinister figure said directly to him. "So the night visitors can bring you here to the red room?"

The scene shifted to the front door outside. The figure there, hooded like those in the feed, was reaching out a gloved hand to the doorbell. A long forefinger pressed the button.

The college boy at the computer inside cringed at the chime of the bell, and he turned in his chair to look at the door, eyes wide with fear.

"Tonight at ten, CNN presents an in-depth report on the dangers of the Deep Web," the announcer spoke as the scene in the house froze in that tableau. "Daniel Random shares his shocking investigation of the hidden web that lies beneath the Internet we all know and use. Is it truth or just urban myth? The terrifying red rooms where missing people are tortured and killed, sometimes cannibalized, their organs harvested. Illegal websites where arms and weapons can be purchased, drugs too and even paid assassins. And the most frightening of all, the night visitors who find their way to users' homes via information grabbed by the secret browsers the users download to navigate the Deep Web ...