14: BOYS WILL BE BOYS (JOHNNY)

Forget the food! The twins look good enough to eat!

Jason and I must have had a couple of shit-eating grins on our faces when we walked out of the grocery store. After we loaded up all the groceries and we were getting into the SUV, his mom asked, "What happened to you boys in there? You are both beaming with ecstasy. You look like you won the million dollar lottery."

Jason smirked as he got behind the wheel. "Yah, we hit the jackpot."

"What? How?" Mrs. Landon asked, fastening her seat belt.

"Just kidding," he laughed. "Not really."

That was after I'd kicked the back of his seat to warn him. I didn't think it'd be a good idea for her to know about the twins, jackpot that they were. After all, she was smart. She'd have suspicions. I figured she already had enough on her plate to digest for now.

"We just ran into some friends," I said from the back seat. "A couple guys from the football team, and Jeannie and Ginny Rydell."

"Jeannie?" She looked pointedly at Jason as he backed out of the parking space. "Was she nice to you? How is she taking this?"

"She was fine, Mom. Breaking up was her idea. She practically pushed me into Johnny's arms."

"That's very admirable of her," Mrs. Landon said. "Most women would not be quite so understanding."

"She's definitely a smartie," I said. "She saw it coming. This has been boiling on the back burner for quite some time. Plus, she still gets to date Jason."

"Date?" She looked at Jason and then back to me.

"Yup." Jason told her about the Homecoming dance this fall. "And Ginny's right. It'd be too much to force it on everybody, me and Johnny showing up together as a couple. We gotta show at least some respect for tradition. Maybe ten years down the road some other guys can do it. We're making enough waves already."

"That makes sense," Mrs. Landon agreed. "The Homecoming dance is for everyone. You don't need to put the focus on the two of you."

"And the guys from the team we saw were the Connors twins," Jason went on to tell her.

I kicked the back of his seat again, but he just gave me a what-the-fuck look in the rear view mirror.

"They said that their father talked to Dad last night," Jason continued anyway, "and he said Dad was really upset."

"Yes, that call upset him quite a bit," his mom remembered. "Mr. Connors told him that it must be the greatest shock a man could have to endure, and that he was glad his two boys would never do such a thing."

"Such a thing?" Jason blurted out.

I grabbed the dickhead's left earlobe and pulled it hard in warning. I didn't want him getting angry and giving away our little secret. The twins weren't out. We couldn't tell anybody.

I butted right in, saying, "Carey and Corey were very nice to us, Mrs. Landon. They obviously have no problem with what's going on and we're still good friends."

And you, Jason, shut up, I told him in my mind. Don't tell everybody everything, especially your mom. Don't give all our secrets away. And when we get home I'm gonna bind you all up with duct tape and gag you, until you understand. Or maybe fuck you until you understand.

Yah, that sounded a whole lot better.

"Well, that's good," Mrs. Landon was saying. "Those twins were always such nice boys. And so adorable."