Sick

The next day, Jillian had finished her morning routine of getting ready while dancing along to some of her favorite 'Blondie' songs. She went into work with confidence as she knew she was so close to finishing the Ghost Pagers. She had finally been able to concentrate harder on her work the past couple of days and she suspected it was because she was trying to get her mind off of Erin. The two hadn't spoken since the day of their many disasters, but she didn't mind as she was gradually rotating out of her depressed state. She was turning back into her old self again and she couldn't have been happier.

"Erin called in sick today." Abigail spoke when Patty stepped into the station for the first time that morning.

"She okay?" Tolan wondered as she shut the door behind her. 

"I think so. It was probably just the food we ate last night. It was pretty greasy." Yates responded as she logged into her computer. 

Jillian sat on the third step of the staircase as if she were in the beginning of a popular rap video with her elbows resting on her knees and her knees widely spread while she leaned far forward. Her eyes looked up to both her coworkers. "Erin didn't eat last night." She recalled the brunette claiming to be too busy to leave her desk the whole day before.

"Oh. That's right." Abby looked down at the floor beneath her desk in remembrance. 

"Maybe that's why she don't feel good." Patty jumped in, putting her purple cardigan on the back of her chair before sitting in it. 

"Should I call her back?" The worried paranormal researcher wondered.

"No, I'm sure she's fine." Holtzmann slightly waved one of her hands before leaning back on the step above and crossing her legs out in front of her.

"I'm gonna call her back." Abby reached for the phone on the corner of her own desk. She picked it up, putting it up to her ear and she heard a dial tone. She set the phone back down and mentally slapped herself. She stood up and walked over to Kevin's desk for the second time that morning. "I forgot our new phones aren't connected yet." She nervously chuckled at herself and picked up the only working phone. Just as she did, Kevin arrived, stepping into the station with his umbrella. While Abby listened to the phone ring on the other end, she couldn't help but send Kevin a strange look.

"Kevin." Patty spoke. "Why you got an umbrella?" She shook her head. "It ain't rainin.'"

"On my way to the subway this morning, some nice old man offered it to me, so I took it." He smiled.

"What old man?" Tolan asked.

"The one on the corner. He said that if I gave him everything in my wallet then I could have this nice umbrella." He grinned at the clearly old black parasol in his hand. 

Patty looked to Holtzy on the staircase and Jill just sat with a beaming smile as she internally laughed at the idiot. Shaking her head, Patty looked back to Beckman. She opened her mouth to say something, but quickly changed her mind and sat down.

Kevin's phone was returned to the receiver and Abby leaned against the table. "She didn't answer."

"She probably went back to bed." Jill let out an odd laugh. "I know I would." 

"I should go check on her." Yates suddenly grew concerned.

"Why?" Patty wondered. "I'm sure she alright. She's a grown woman."

"I know. But I just....I got a weird feeling." Abby pushed her glasses up more.

"What kind of feeling?" Holtzmann asked from the stairs, behind Yates.