01 . the beginning

0 1

six months later

Draco cursed under his breath as he glanced at the time on his watch. He was late to work, again. He wasn't quite sure how it had even happened. He had woken up earlier today to avoid this very situation.

Although Draco knew he shouldn't, Draco stopped at his favorite coffee shop before heading to the Ministry. No matter how late he was, it wasn't going to stop Draco from getting his morning coffee. He entered the coffee shop next to his flat like usual, hoping that things would go quicker today. The smell of coffee filled his nostrils as he stood in line with several other muggles, and he suddenly felt brighter. A day without coffee was like a day without his wand; unimaginable. 

His turn came in several moments. He ordered his go-to coffee, placed some muggle money on the counter, and took his coffee from the barista. Draco was in a bit of a hurry by now, and he carelessly opened the coffee shop door, the sound of pedestrians and cars filling his ears.

Everything would be different if Draco Malfoy hadn't stepped out of that small, run-down-the-mill muggle coffee shop at that exact moment.

He stepped onto the loud, bustling London street quickly, which caused him to run into a brown-haired girl running through the street. She turned around sharply, no doubt a lecture on the tip of her tongue, when she closed her mouth in surprise.

"Malfoy?" she said in disbelief, her eyebrows knitting together. 

"Granger," Draco said, standing straighter, and raising his eyebrows. The fact that he was standing in front of Hermione Granger after three years sent him into some type of reverie.

"Wow - I haven't seen you around. How are you?" Hermione said, her eyes suddenly brightening. 

It was perhaps her politeness that threw Draco off. Considering that he had bullied her for a majority of their time at Hogwarts, Draco was surprised she hadn't punched him at the sight of him. He tried not to stare at her face for too long, like he wanted too; because he had to admit, she was gorgeous. She had always been, but here, with her hair curled and falling down her face, and her bright smile, Draco wanted to stare at her forever.

"I'm good," Draco said, rearranging his surprised features on his face to show a somewhat forced smile. "What brings you to London?"

"My new job," Hermione said, slightly bouncing on her toes. "Also, I just moved in to a new flat." 

Draco nodded. He was listening intently, as if he was going to have a quiz on this later,  and the weird thing was that Draco had no idea why. "I live nearby. You've got a job at the Ministry?"

Hermione nodded, beaming. "Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. I'm guessing you have a job at the Ministry too?"

Draco took a sip of his coffee. It seemed to bring him to his senses. "Muggle liaison office." He paused. "So what have you been doing for these three years?"

Draco couldn't imagine Hermione having to look for a job for three years. She was the most brilliant witch Draco knew ( although Draco wouldn't admit to this to anyone. )

"I went back and finished my eighth year at Hogwarts, and then I went to Australia for quite some time."

"Australia? Why there?" Draco asked, having never been to the country himself. He was pushing his limits. He was being maybe too nice, but Draco hardly cared.

He immediately knew it was a tough subject for her, for Hermione's shoulder tensed up and her hands stiffened. "Just visiting," she said, giving him a small smile.