18 . the interrogation

1 8

Draco dropped Master's unconscious body and summoned a chair the second his feet touched the floor of his flat.  He picked up Master, and (with difficulty) put him in the chair in the middle of his living room. After tying his hands with rope and double checking that Master wasn't going to be able to escape, he took a deep breath.

"What now?" Blaise asked. He, along with Harry and Hermione was siting on Draco's couch.

"We wait. When he wakes up, we'll ask him questions using the Veritaserum."

Blaise nodded, looking anxious. Draco looked up at Hermione. She was looking at the ground.

"Granger - can I talk to you for a second?" He said. He did not want to have this conversation with her, but he did not see how much choice he had. They both couldn't ignore what had happened in the Ministry file room for any longer.

Hermione looked from the ground and got up. "Sure," she said.

Draco led her into his room, making sure to close the door behind him. "Look, we should talk about what happened yesterday."

"I know," Hermione said. There was a long silence in the air.

 "Well, I'm just going to say it. I'm not sad it happened." Draco finally said.

Hermione smiled slightly.

"But I do think we shouldn't do it again." Draco said, taking a deep breath.

"I agree," Hermione said, "It's far too unsettling to be kissing you at work and kissing Ron at home. It's difficult to act like nothing has changed between us. I think Ron actually might suspect something."

"Suspect us?" Draco frowned. 

"Not necessarily, but he constantly asks me what's wrong and I know that he thinks somethings up."

"Well, it won't happen again," Draco said firmly.

"Right."

They both looked at each other, and Draco had another urge to kiss her. Damn, this was not going to be easy.

"Let's just go interrogate the person we kidnapped," Draco said, quickly.

Hermione smiled. "Let's go get some answers."

---

When they got back into the living room, he was surprised to see Blaise and Harry in the kitchen and looking through the fridge.

"What are you guys doing?" Draco asked, taking a seat on the kitchen stools.

"Trying to find any firewhiskey. We want a break after everything we just did," Blaise said, looking at Draco.

"You didn't even do anything." Draco rolled his eyes.

Blaise pretended to be shocked, putting a hand over his heart. "Um, excuse me, but who else gave you all the moral support."

Harry and Hermione laughed while Draco cracked a grin. He stood up and opened a cabinet, pulling out four bottles of firewhiskey. "Why are you guys looking in the fridge? Who would put firewhiskey in there?"

"Um, I do," Harry said, while Blaise nodded. "Me too."

Draco shook his head as he passed a bottle to all of them. He collapsed back in his chair and took a sip. They were all drinking for only several moments when they all head a grunt come from the living room.

"He's up," Harry said, as Draco left the kitchen and hurried towards Master. Sure enough, he was awake and sitting in the chair. He laughed slightly as Draco neared him. 

"Draco Malfoy. Should've known it was you. Hasn't the Chief started the Policy on you? Surprised you haven't given up."

"I'm never going to give up," Draco said quietly. 

The Master smiled, looking over Draco's shoulders. "Oh look, you have friends now to help you. Now, is that Blaise Zabini? Part of Kurt's clan?"

"Sure is," Blaise said. 

The Master laughed. "How convenient. So why am I here? You must know that even if I wanted to tell you, I wouldn't be able to tell you who the Chief is."

"I know," Draco said, taking out the Truth Potion from his robes. "But you still have valuable information."

"Ah. Now if that's what I think it is -"

But Draco didn't let him finish his sentence. He had already forced the potion into his mouth. They all waited a second, watching as his eyes rolled to the back of his head. And then he blinked and sat upright.

"What is your full name?" Draco asked.

"Frank Elliot Allen," he answered.

"What are you in the Union?"

"The Master, the Chief's messenger."

"Who is the Chief?"

There was a pause as the Master struggled to speak. "I cannot say," he finally said. Draco sighed. He had not expected it to work, but there had still been a part of him that had wished that the Master had been lying.

"How did you acquire to be the Master?" Draco asked instead.

"I was bitten by Olcan several years ago. I grew to love the Union. I wanted to do more for it. I asked Olcan what I should do, and he allowed me to come to the meetings. I did for a year, and I helped the Union grow. Olcan told me that I was starting to become important in the Union. All of the other leaders loved me. 

In a few months, the Chief of that time told the Master that it was time for him to be done. The Master back then, then contacted me, and told me that if I wanted, I could be the new Master. I agreed. When the process was done, the Chief came to me. He told me that I was to be the new Master, and that I would bring greatness to the Union."

Draco nodded. "What do you help the Chief do?"

"Everything," Master stated.  "If a leader had a proposal, I go to the Chief and tell him. If a werewolf is uncooperative, I tell him. If a problem ensues, I tell him. He then tells me what to do back. If he wants a new rule to be passed, he would tell me and I would tell the leaders. If he wants to speak to someone, I would be the messenger between them. I would make small decisions on my own, but the big ones were always the ones that the Chief made."

"How did you contact the Chief?" Draco asked slowly, an idea growing in the back of his head.

"By owl. If I ever needed to speak to him, I would send him a letter explaining the situation and sign it with a certain word. A code, so that he knows it's me that sent the letter. He would then send me back a time and place. And we would go and meet."

Draco looked back at the others. They all seemed hopeful. 

"Okay, Master. I'm going to need for you to tell me exactly what you would write in a letter for the Chief."