24 . confrontation

2 4

Ron took a step closer to them. Draco had never seen anyone so broken in his life. His eyes were empty and emotionless; he simply looked at them, unable to say anything.

"Weasley," Draco began. But Hermione shook her head. "Let me," She said quietly.

Hermione walked up to him. "Ron," Hermione muttered, looking into his eyes. "Say something."

"I just don't understand," He muttered. "You two were together... the whole time?"

Hermione's voice wavered. "Yes," She whispered so quietly, she could barely hear it herself.

Ron laughed humorlessly. "So, what was I? Did you date me for show?"

"No, no Ron I would never do that. I- I loved you. I do love you." She held his arm, looking into his eyes. 

"Then, why are you with him? Why are you with the man who bullied you for years, who became a death eater, who treated you like dirt? I thought I did everything I could Hermione. I really did. I love you more than anything in my whole life, and I thought you felt the same." Ron's eyes blazed.  His voice was filled with raw emotion that chilled Hermione's spine. She wanted to say something, but there was nothing to say.

"I thought you felt the same," Ron's voice said, breaking. A single tear dropped from his eyes. "Hermione, I love you." 

"I love you too Ron. But, things are so complicated, and I... I love him as well." Hermione said, crying as well by now. She wanted him to understand. That this was difficult for her as well. But, the truth was that she had broken his heart. She could see it in his eyes.

Ron gave her a harsh look, narrowing his eyes, not to her but to Draco. He stood several feet away, in the same position as before.

"You did this to her!" Ron said enraged, walking fast towards him. 

"Did what?" Draco asked, raising his eyebrows. 

Ron stopped right in front of him, breathing heavily. "You - you gave her some type of love potion! I don't know- I don't know. But the Hermione I know, she wouldn't fall for you!"

"Enough!" Hermione said, walking up to them. "Draco did not give me a love potion. Ron, I just want you to listen, okay? It just happened. And we couldn't control it. Ron, you can't control love."

"So you really do love him, don't you?" Ron asked. He sounded bitter. But Hermione knew that he was shaken. 

"Yes," Hermione said, pursing her lips. "And I - I don't how it happened. Ron, I wish things were different. And I know that I hurt you. I know that, and I'm not going to try and defend myself. But I want you to know that it wasn't all fake. I really did love you."

"Did. You did. And now you love him." 

Hermione didn't say anything. She couldn't. "Weasley," Draco said, breaking the silence. "How did you know we were here?"

"This," Ron said, taking a piece of paper out of his pocket. He dropped it on the ground. Then, he looked up at Hermione. "Please, stay away from me. I don't ever want to see you again."

"You don't mean that," Hermione whispered. 

"I don't know anything anymore," Ron said, shaking his head. "I want you out of the house by tomorrow. Please, don't try and talk to me."

"Ron, wait -" But he had already disapparted. Hermione stood rooted to the spot shaking. Draco put his hands around her. "It's okay," He whispered, stroking her hair. "He would have figured it out eventually. And, he'll come to his sense. He might hate you now, but he won't hate you forever."