02 . the first meeting

0 2

The week passed on hazily. Draco's days were in a loop. Each morning, Draco would wake up, hasten to grab his coffee, and dash to the Ministry. He worked on endless papers in his and Theo's small office, watching as memo after memo zoomed on to Theo's desk. His punishment for being late was still lasting, and Draco was starting to feel trapped in the office.

It was on Friday morning, while Draco was looking at Union research, his eyebrows furrowed and hands drumming on the desk, when Noah Murray himself stuck his head through their office. "Both of you need to hurry to Mornington Street - a wizard is preforming countless magic in front of several muggles!"

He went as quickly as he came, and Theo and Draco glanced at each other. "What stupid bloke is firing spells in front of muggles?" Theo said, sighing.

Draco shrugged, hastily slipping his research under his work. He slipped on his cloak and grabbed his wand from his desk."We should get going."

The two apparated quickly to Mornington street, where a huge crowd was present and were watching in awe at something out of Theo and Draco's sight.

Draco walked closer to the crowd, narrowing his eyes at the person in the middle. He was a blonde-haired short wizard, now preforming a levitating charm to the pebbles under his feet. "Cool, eh?" the man said, grinning as he looked up and down at the crowd.

"Not really," Draco said loudly. The wizard looked around quickly at his voice, and his face fell as he found Draco. "Ah, Mr. Malfoy. I was just - " 

"- preforming magic in front of muggles?" Theo cut in, raising his eyebrows.

The crowd of muggles was starting to converse amongst themselves. As the wizard opened his mouth to defend himself, Draco heard a loud pop! He turned around  sharply to see two ministry officials, walking quickly towards the wizard. 

"You two - fix the memories of these muggles," one of them said to Draco, pointing to the crowd. "We'll take care of him."  

Annoyed that he was getting orders, he pointed his wand lazily to one of the muggles. "Obliviate." Draco said to the woman on his right.

He heard Theo doing the same next to him, and they had soon fixed all of their memories quickly. Just as Draco and Theo were ready to leave, he heard one of  the officials murmer, "- poor bloke must've been imperiused."

"Sorry, what?" Draco asked, turning to the man. The two officals had tied rope to the small wizard and were now examining him. "He's imperiused?"

"By the looks of it," he said, nodding. "It's most likely a practical prank - bit foolish, really."

Draco nodded, but he could not help but think that casting an unforgivable curse on someone for a prank was a little extreme. 

"C'mon," Theo said, nudging him. "Let's get going." 

"Right," Draco said, tearing his eyes away from the wizard. 

---

"I'm Draco Malfoy, coming to the meeting between the Union leaders. I'm here on invitation from Kurt."

The bricks disappeared, just as they had a few days ago. Draco took a deep breath. He felt as though he was getting one step closer to finding out the identity of the chief. He was finally going to be able to infiltrate the Union. 

It had taken him six months to get here, but he was doing it now. The thought made him strangely hopeful, and the long walk downstairs did not seem as endless as it had before.