16 . plan b

1 6

The knocks on the door were getting louder, and Draco was getting more impatient. He turned over in his bed, trying to shut out the noise. He had just wanted to get one good night of sleep.

But it would have to wait. Cursing under his breath, he pulled himself out of bed, crossed his flat, and opened the door.

Harry and Hermione were standing in the doorway, both shivering and chattering. Behind them was Blaise, muttering under his breath about something, and wearing several layers of clothing.

"Merlin, took you long enough," Harry said, stepping into Draco's warm flat. "December isn't a picnic, Malfoy."

"What are all of you doing here this late?" Draco asked, mildly annoyed as they all stepped in and got warm.

"Late?" Blaise asked, taking off his cloak. "It's ten o'clock."

"As someone who rarely gets more than five hours of sleep, ten o'clock seems pretty good to me." Draco said, staring at all of them as they got comfortable in his home.

"Okay, well, let's get down to business," Harry said, striding over to where his Slytherin banner was. He took it off, and stepped back, allowing everyone to get a good look of the board Draco had put together what seemed like ages ago.

"Wait a second. Uh - Granger, can I talk to you for a minute?" Draco asked.

"What you have to say to me, you can say to all of us," Hermione said brightly.

Draco pursed his lips. "Well, after you got kidnapped, I thought we had a conversation how you weren't going to be involved in all of this."

"Actually," Hermione said, folding her arms, "You never said anything about not helping with the Chief. To me, it seemed like we were going to stop doing other things."

Harry and Blaise were looking sideways at both of them, confused expressions on their faces.

"Look Malfoy, the kidnapping thing scared all of us, but this is Hermione Granger we're talking about. She's a better witch than the three of us combined. She can be here if she wants," Harry assured Draco. "In fact, I told her all about the plan that you told me. I assumed you would want me to tell her too."

"Well, I definitely wanted to know. In fact Malfoy, I was surprised that it was Harry who told me, and not you. It's been a week since I've been released from St. Mungo's and you made no contact with me whatsoever." Hermione said.

Draco narrowed his eyes at her. She had used his surname, which not only annoyed him but also showed him that she was not happy with him at all.

"Okay. Okay. Let's just do this alright. And Blaise how did you figure out about this?"

"Hermione here told me. Now, I don't want to go all dramatic on you like her," Blaise said, as Hermione scoffed, "But I'd like to know why Potter here knew about this plan before me."

"I was going to tell you tomorrow. I wanted to lie low for a week, and make it seem as if we were going to back down. I have a feeling that the Chief knows everything about us. That's why he took Granger the second I told Potter everything."

"Huh," Harry said. "Interesting logic."

"So, is everyone done yelling at me now?" Draco asked exasperatedly.

"Yes, I suppose so," Blaise said.

"Okay," Draco said, clapping his hands together. "Here's the basis of the plan. I want to capture Master. We'll brew some Veritaserum and interrogate him. We can keep him here, and we won't keep him for long. We'll get some answers out of him and then we'll Obliviate him and let him go."

"I thought that Master is unable to say anything about the Chief's identity," Blaise said thoughtfully.

"We can still get some information out of him. Anything that can link us to the Chief, and even better, somehow get us a meeting with him. I think that'll be our best shot."

"Has it ever occurred to you Malfoy, that instead of focusing on killing the Chief, you could just infiltrate the Union and destroy it some other way?" Harry asked.

"Already thought of that, but it wouldn't work. This is the only way. It's written in the papers too. It's why the Chief is so protected. Also, Kurt told me the day that I was bitten. I think his exact words were 'the only thing that will ever destroy the Union will be the Chief's death.' "

"Noted." Harry said, slowly.

"What are the papers?" Hermione asked. She had been silent for so long Draco had forgotten she was here.

"Exactly what they sound like," Draco said. "A bunch of papers that outline how the Union would work."

"They sound intriguing," Hermione said, thinking hard.

"They're really not," Draco said.

"Okay, enough said. How are we going to manage to capture Master?" Blaise asked.

"I'm thinking either when he's on his way to work or when he's coming home. I know he works in the Ministry in the Department of International Magic Cooperation. He's a skilled wizard, but he won't stand a chance against all four of us."

"I think you're right." Harry said. "We just have to find the perfect timing and he won't see us coming from miles away."

Hermione smiled. "You know what guys, I'm sure this is going to work."

Draco didn't want to admit to himself how happy he was to see Hermione smile.