11 . the attempt

1 1

Blaise Zabini sat in front of Draco, stuffing his face with a sandwich. Draco watched him with disgust, his own plate in front of him remaining untouched. 

"How do you even have an appetite?" Draco asked, as Blaise swallowed. 

"What do you mean?" Blaise furrowed his eyebrows.

"I mean, we're about to do something that might get us killed, and here you are eating." Draco commented.

"Well, it was a damn good sandwich. At least if we do die, this will be my last meal."

Draco rolled his eyes. 

Blaise wiped his mouth with a napkin."What's wrong with you anyway?" 

"Nothing," Draco said, drumming his fingers on the table.

"You're acting strange. It's unsettling. What happened?" Blaise said.

"I really have no idea what you're talking about," Draco said as he glanced at the clock over Blaise's shoulder.

"Is it a girl? It's a girl."

Draco sighed. "What's you point?"

"HA! It is a girl." Blaise grinned.

"You -"

"So, what happened with her?" He smiled mischievously.

"I kissed her," Draco said, blatantly.

Blasie frowned. "That's it?"

"Well, she has a boyfriend."

"A classic Draco move." Blaise winked. 

"Right. But what's happening is that I'm... I'm actually developing feelings for her."

Blaise laughed. "It's called love, Draco. You wouldn't be used to it."

"And you are?" Draco said, frustratingly.

"Have you forgotten? Two years ago... with Pansy Parkinson..."

"I told you to never bring that up again," Draco said, having an urge to throw something at him.

"Yes, you're right. I'm sorry. But Draco, it's fine. Just win her over." 

Draco shrugged, glancing at the clock again. "It's time to go."

Blaise took a deep breath. "Time to hit the show."

---

Draco had never ended the Union Headquarter's cafeteria. But, now that he had, he was wondering why he had never done it before. It was as large as the Great Hall, and werwolves sat at the long tables, laughing and chatting. A long table was in the back of the room, with platters of food on top. Draco had to admit, he was impressed.

He wasn't hungry, but it would look suspicious if he didn't grab any food. So he found himself walking up to the long table. Placing some roast beef and corn on his plate, he made his way over to an empty seat. The people next to him nodded at him, as he sat down a few feet away from them.

There was one man, who was tall and buff, and who had unusually long hair, and two women, one of which had blonde wavy hair and another who had black short hair.

He picked at his food, glancing more than once at the door.  He and Blaise had decided to have their 'fight' in front of many people, so that the word could easily get out to the leaders and Chief. Blaise was to come several minutes after Draco, accuse him of something, and then they would duel.

It wasn't a perfect plan, but it was something.

About a quarter hour passed before Blaise walked through the door. Draco looked around, seeing if anyone noticed him. No one did. Blaise scanned the room, no doubt looking for Draco. And then their eyes met.