prologue

prologue

three years after the battle of hogwarts

Draco Malfoy stared at himself in the mirror. He was looking at a boy with a pale long face, his gray eyes fixated on his reflection. Draco ran his fingers through his slicked back blonde hair.  He fixed his tie, as anxiety crept up on the back of his neck. Hearing a soft cough, Draco turned around to Theodore Nott, who was leaning against Draco's open door and watching him with a smile. 

"Merlin, Draco. You look like you're going to piss yourself. It's just an interview, and I promise if I could get this job, then so can you," Theo grinned. 

Draco shrugged, picking up his wand from the bed and slipping it in his back pocket. "I have to get this one, though." He sighed.

Draco heard Theo say something under his breath that sounded a lot like, "You say that every time, Draco."

----

Draco's feet hit the gravel the same time Theo's did. Draco still wasn't used to apparation, and he took a deep breath as he stood in the alley. "You don't have to be here," Draco said, as he stepped out onto the bustling street, Theo following. 

"I know, but I want to.  And besides, I told Noah that I would be coming late to work anyway."

"Is that what you call him?" Draco chuckled. "Not Mr. Murray?"

"He wants me to call him that. And you should get used to calling him that,too, since he's going to be your boss soon." Theo said matter-of-factly. 

"I haven't even got the job yet," Draco said, stepping into the bathroom that would get them inside the Ministry. Draco and Theo waited in line with the others, finally getting into the stalls and swooping down to the Ministry. "Malfoy!" Someone said, as soon as he stepped into the loud ministry. 

"Merlin , that sounds like Pansy," Draco muttered, trying to ignore her shrill voice. He walked quickly, with Theo running up to catch up to him. "She isn't all that bad," Theo said, "And you dated her in 6th year."

"Please, don't remind me... How do you stand her? She's worse than your mother." Draco said, paying attention to get through the crowd of Ministry workers. 

"My mother is nice," Theo muttered. 

By the time they entered the elevator and reached the third level, Draco was subconsciously touching his dark mark, something he did when he was nervous. "This is it," Theo said, stopping in front of a door marked Noah Murray.

"You don't have to wait outside the whole time," Draco said.

"I'm not going to, I need to catch up on work. Good luck," Theo said, before winking and disappearing into the door next to them.

Draco took a deep breath, and knocked on the door. 

"Come in."

Draco stepped through the door, and saw a tall, lean man sitting behind a large mahogany desk. "Hello, Mr. Malfoy. Have a seat."

Draco nodded, taking a seat in the chair across from him. The man smiled. "I'm Noah Murray, head of the department of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes. Don't be nervous today, this interview will be really quite simple. Now, Theodore has told me a great deal about you. You're friends, I'm guessing?"