04 . the decision

0 4

The air became more chilly and windy as October came, bringing leaves and rain. And Draco Malfoy was starting to get more and more angry and frustrated.

He stayed up late in bed, not only because of the constant question in his brain as to how he was going to find out who the Chief was now, but also because his nightmares were getting worse.

Although Draco did not want to admit it out loud, Draco knew that it was because of the reappearance of Hermione Granger in his life. It was the small things, but he felt like he was closer to her than he ever was before.

They smiled at each other if they saw each other at the Ministry, they would make cunning remarks to each other, and Draco Malfoy could not get her out of his head. It was this reason, that Draco's nightmares came back, haunting him worse than they had ever before.

They were usually the same, but each time Hermione would scream, she would say something else. Tonight she had said, screaming and whimpering in pain, "Draco, this is all your fault! Help me Draco... please help me.... you are the only one that can..." 

Draco laid in his bed staring up at the ceiling. He was remembering that day. He had lied when Bellatrix had asked him if he knew Potter, Hermione, and Weasley. "I don't know," he had said, when she had asked him if it was, in fact, Hermione who was standing in front of him.

But Draco did know. He knew it was Hermione Granger standing in front of him from the second she walked through the door. Because who could forget that face? She was scratched and bruised, but she had that same fierce expression. She was fearless and she was counting on him. They were counting on him. Draco had already screwed up so many times before, and in that moment, he had promised himself that he wouldn't mess anything else up.

And then they had been tortured, and he had watched it all. And suddenly he couldn't get her screams out of his head and he was watching Ron run towards the chandelier to save her and his scream never left him because he couldn't let his family know how it hurt him to see her in pain.

"Shut up," Draco told himself. "It's not your fault." 

But Draco Malfoy closed his eyes tightly, Hermione Granger's scar not leaving his mind.  

---

"And then he told me that he would think about it. Cool, right?" Theo said, taking a bite of his chicken. Blaise slapped Theo on the back, a huge grin on his face.

"Proud of you, man." He said. 

Draco nodded, forcing a smile. "So we're not going to be partners anymore?"

"Well, be said he'll think about it, but... yeah, I guess," Theo's said, his voice trailing off.

"Well, you maybe getting a promotion is great news," Draco said. He took his own bite. They were sitting in a booth at the muggle restraunt right next to Theo's flat.

They had initially tried to cook dinner themselves, but after they had almost burned the place down, they had settled for here.

Theo nodded, shrugging and they all finished their meal. When they exited the restraunt, Theo took out his phone. "I still don't get why you have that thing," Draco said.

"It's much easier to communicate with them. You should get one. I can buy you one if you want me to," He said, fidgeting with the numbers on it. 

"I bet owls work just as fine," Draco said rolling his eyes.

Blaise laughed. "Yeah, right. Phones are about ten times faster."

"Not you too?" Draco asked.

"Hey, phones are extremely convenient." Blaise retorted.