Part Two

The sight was grotesque.
A long line of decapitated heads were displayed in front of Marcus on tall wooden poles.
They seemed to range in age order, from babies to elders.
The faces looked mutated, several eyes and noses were missing or had been damaged.
He was in the same room as before but parts looked different.
Candles lined the walls and a strong smell of incense hung thick in the air.
Turning around he noticed a large body lying motionless on a table.
It was covered in a dark cloth.
He walked over to it and pulled back the top to reveal the face.
Looking up at him was his best friend Billy.
Suddenly an axe appeared in Marcus's hand and he cut his friends head in two.

Marcus bolted upright, heart pounding and covered in sweat. He looked at the clock. 3:00am.

Why the hell did I just dream of cutting Billys head off?

His anxiety was at a high and he knew he couldn't get back to sleep so he got out of bed and had a cold shower to calm himself down. At 6am he was sat in front of his tv in his boxers eating a tub of ice cream.

What is happening to me?

He tried to fight the feeling of reality slipping away but gave in.

Suddenly the loud buzzing of his cell rang in his ears. He checked the time, 9:00am.
Fuck I'm late for work.
He grabbed his cell and answered it.

"Marcus where are you? Rick isn't too pleased." It was Cara, his bosses secretary.

He'd slept with her several times since the Christmas work party earlier on this year. Boy could she go for hours.

"Oh man I must have overslept." He hesitated, "I'm on my way."

He didn't have much of an appetite so he downed a cup of coffee and popped a prozac before heading to his car. The commute to work was slow. At almost every traffic light he had to stop to let pedestrians cross the road. After about 20 minutes he finally reached the reception area of his work. He rushed to his office, shut his door and slumped down into his chair at his desk.

Logging onto his computer he noticed something out of the corner of his eye. He looked up at the door and saw Billys lifeless limp body hanging from it. Gasping, he rubbed his eyes and the body was gone.

"What the fuck?!"

A second later the door was propelled open by an unseen force and Cara waltzed in.

"Marcus what's up? You look like you've seen a ghost."

His limbs felt numb, as if someone had drained pints of his blood.
"I'm fine, just a bit tired that's all."

"If you're sure, maybe you need to start taking sleeping tablets or something." She leant over and rested her elbows on his desk.

He had an eye full of her cleavage. The colour must have returned to his face because she giggled.

"Anyway Rick isn't too happy about you being late so he wants you to visit a couple of new estates this week. One is close to your place and the other is six or so miles away."

"Sure I'm on it." Marcus turned back to his computer.

"Cool, I will leave you to it now. Oh and also I was wondering if you'd like to go for a quick drink after work?"

He'd been for a few drinks last night with Billy and wasn't sure if he should go out again. That reminded him, he had to ring Billy and check to see if he was okay.

"Erm yeah that would be good. Meet you outside the offices later."

"Sounds cool!" She turned away and walked towards his door.

She was wearing a figure hugging black pencil skirt which ended just above the knee. He felt himself checking her out. She slipped out of the door and he was alone.

Marcus had been working for an hour or so when he realised he hadn't rang Billy yet so he decided to get out his cell and dial his number. After a few seconds he answered.

"Hey man. How are you doing?"

"Oh hey, yeah I'm not too bad. How are you?"

"Yeah I'm all good. Although I've been filing a missing persons report all morning. It's no fun. How's work with you?"

"It's fine. Got some new estates to visit this week. Slept pretty bad last night though."

"Oh that sucks. Look man I can't talk right now, I'll call you tonight or something yeah?"

"Sure, talk then." He hung up and went back to work.

For some reason his anxiety took a turn for the worst and intrusive thoughts filled his head. He had to get out of his office. Hopefully some fresh air would do him some good. He got up and left the building. The outside world felt a lot nicer than being stuck in his small office. But as he got outside he had a sudden urge to cross the road. So he did. But not once, because the voices in his head told him he had to do it four times otherwise Billy would be hurt.

He knew he couldn't disobey the voices in his head so he did what they said.

Oh man I feel like such an idiot.

He felt as if all eyes were on him and knew he had to stop so after the fourth time he did. He walked hurriedly back to his office. When he returned he sat back down at his desk and wondered what had overcome him. He was worried.

Will this happen to me again?

Part of him hoped it wouldn't but the other knew it would.

Work had finished and Marcus waited for Cara. She was late as usual.
He found himself checking the time when he spotted her leaving with Kayleigh.

"See you tomorrow honey."
They hugged and Kayleigh went on her way.

Cara looked very pretty tonight. And sexy. The reason she had taken longer to leave was cause she'd changed her clothes and re done her make up.
She wore a black skimpy dress which showed off most of her legs and chest.

"Come on then Marcus let's go do some shots!" She linked his arm and dragged him along.

"Hey I thought we'd be going for a quiet drink?!"

"Oh Marcus you know what I'm really like!" She winked at him.

Please vote for each chapter! 🌟