Part Eleven

Blood squirted from the woman's neck. She choked as she held her hands to her throat as her eyes widened with fear. Marcus stabbed her in the chest once. But of course he had to stab her twice more to make it even inside his head. Her body slumped down in the passenger's seat.

His anxiety had disappeared.

After this kill he felt good about himself. It was as if with every life he took he somehow absorbed something from them.

He felt more alive.

His problems evaporated from his mind and he could think clearly and not guilty.

I'm enjoying this.

Marcus was turning into more of a monster.

He had it all worked out.
With every kill he'd get the body and take it to the estate with the basement where he dumped his last. It was late at night and he did exactly as he did before. But when he entered the house and made his way to the cupboard door he could smell a slight odour coming from beneath.

He inspected the body of the man.
The smell wasn't too strong but he'd have to cover it up somehow if he was to have more bodies in there which he was planning on doing.
He laid the two down next to each other and left the basement.

Marcus felt no remorse as he drove home. He didn't seem to be feeling much anymore.

When he got back to his apartment he realised he hadn't checked his cell since he went out. One message from an unknown number.
He read it to himself and his heart sank because it wasn't Melissa.

It was Brooke from work.
She was asking him if he wanted to go out next week but Marcus had no interest.
He only wanted to see Melissa.
Perhaps she was busy after work and got caught up in something.
Or maybe she had forgotten about him. Either way he was filled with anger.

How could she not be interested in him?

Marcus was in bed trying to sleep when all he could think about was her. And killing.
He went to the bathroom to pop an extra prozac when he saw his face in the mirror.

It wasn't him, it couldn't be could it?
He had a demonic demeanor about him. His eyes were sunken and appeared to be more black than his usual chestnut colour, his lips were curled into an upturned smile and his skin seemed ashen. Marcus looked like he did in his dreams.
He wasn't sure whether to panic or just roll with it.
So he did the latter.
He needed to get out so he went back outside and got into his car.

It was after midnight and no one was around. He drove for an hour in what felt like circles until he came to Mountain Lake park. The last time he was here was with Billy and their friends after a bar crawl through town. Somehow they'd all got completely trashed an ended up on the playground. Marcus laughed at the memory. But that wasn't his life anymore. Murder was all he seemed to know now.

He sat down on a bench close to the lake when he caught something out the corner of his eye.
In amongst the bushes he saw something coming towards him.
He got his knife out ready to defend himself but hid it inside his jacket.

A figure came running over and Marcus instantly recognised the face.
It was Barker, the homeless man.

Has he come back to haunt me?

As he came closer Marcus stood up and on instinct swung for him.
Barker punched him back in the side of his face but with little force.
Marcus had to stop him so he tackled him to the ground but as he did Barker caught Marcus close to his eye.

This angered him even more and instead of punching him to death like last time he decided to stab him three times in the chest. He got more of a thrill out of doing it that way.

When Barker had stopped moving Marcus sat down beside the body.
But when he took a closer look he noticed it wasn't the undead man at all. It was someone he'd never met before in his life.

This man was a lot younger and darker than Barker and he was just a guy jogging late at night. He wore a black and white track suit. Somehow Marcus had hallucinated and believe it was him when it wasn't.

He rubbed the cut above his eye and noticed the blood on his fingers.
So two kills in one night? Marcus was on a roll. He felt even stronger now.

After loading up the trunk of the car with yet another body he set off for his usual destination.

He hoped the neighbours wouldn't wake up and notice him there again at strange hours of the night carrying things into the house. The body was fairly heavy for a small man. When he reached the bottom of the stairs he put the body beside the two others.
He admired them as they lay together peacefully.

The only thing that ruined it were the blood stains. He would have to clear them up. A nice little collection was building and Marcus was proud of it. Three was his favourite number but he knew he had to add more.

He walked back up the stairs and left the estate. On the journey home thoughts ran through his mind praising him on his actions and what he was achieving by doing these deeds. No one close to him would be hurt if he carried on.

Before getting into bed he washed his hands and tended to the cut above his eye.
It was about five centimetres long and would probably need stitches but Marcus just covered it with a band aid. After tonight's antics he was shattered.

Although he had somehow possessed more power and strength being a murderer was tiring in some aspects.
He settled down into bed and looked forward to another blissful undisturbed sleep.

Please vote for each chapter! 🌟