Part Fourteen

"I think he is squatting in an old abandoned warehouse. Marcus don't do anything stupid man."

Marcus was seething with fury. He had to do something. "No I won't."

"I know you're angry and upset. I understand. That's why I'm inviting you round to mine for dinner tomorrow night. Kiana is cooking your favourite, steak."

Billy knew that Marcus's number one dish was steak and he smiled.
He'd been hiding a huge secret from his best friend and should be able to tell him anything and he usually would but this time he couldn't and Marcus hated himself for it.

But he had changed.

His sanity was slipping away more and more with each day. Marcus didn't know how much longer it would be til he broke.

"I'd like that Billy."

"Cool, come round at eight. It will cheer you up. I promise." Billy stayed for a bit then told Marcus he had to go home.

"I'm gonna get some sleep too. This news is a lot to take in."

"Sure. See you tomorrow man."

Marcus soon remembered the warehouse he had found close by to the second estate.

When Billy left Marcus got ready for bed.
He picked up an old photo album and sat leafing through the pages.
There were hundreds of pictures of him and Lewis. He found his favourite one. It was of him and Lewis together at Disney Land. Marcus was only ten and Lewis was thirteen. They were stood together smiling happily beside Buzz lightyear.

Marcus began to cry.
He hated the idea of someone murdering his brother.

His OCD got worse and new thoughts entered his head.
If Marcus didn't kill Carter then Marcus would die himself.
He had never experienced any thoughts such as this and he was scared.

Marcus's cell beeped and he had received a text from Melissa.
It read that she couldn't sleep because of how much she missed him and she had to see him over the next few days.
That text helped him.

He was no longer sad but lonely.
Surely that was better?
Before he went to sleep he realised why the number three was so significant to him.

The warehouse was old and battered.
It looked as if a bomb had gone off.
Pieces of metal and timber lie on the ground.
In front of Marcus was Lewis.
He was walking towards him when suddenly out of nowhere a man appeared.
Marcus recognised him from his previous dreams.
It must be Carter.
He was not much taller than Lewis and was broader and had lighter hair.
But this dream was in black and white unlike any others.
It soon turned into a nightmare when Carter began repeatedly stabbing Lewis.
Carter exploded with a sinister laugh as Lewis dropped to the ground.
Marcus began to shout but was silenced by an unseen force.

He woke up at 3:00am heart racing.
The man who played Carter in his dream had been in others.

Marcus once put that man's head on a pole. It was as if he knew who he was and what he'd done already.
But that couldn't be true.

He went back to sleep clutching the photo of him and Lewis.

At work the next day Rick went into Marcus's office to ask him if the estate was ready for tomorrow.
He told him he was sure it was but Rick sent him over there to double check.

When Marcus got there the smell of the deceased had gone.
He checked the basement floor for any stains but couldn't find any.
Once he had checked over the whole house he returned back to work and Rick was pleased with him.
The estate would be sold tomorrow.

That reminded Marcus that he had body parts in the trunk of his car and as soon as he got home from work he brought them into his house.
He would have to keep them hidden there for now because he couldn't keep driving around with them.

Several hours later Marcus arrived at Billy's house. It was a nice homely place where Billy planned to bring up a small family. Marcus and him were sat down watching TV whilst Kiana was feeding Sasha.

"So how are you and Melissa getting on buddy? I haven't met her yet!"
Marcus laughed.

"Yeah man we are going good. This past week we've been seeing each other more and it's nice. You can meet her soon."

"Good! I hope to meet the lady who is stealing my best friends heart!"
They both laughed and drank their beers.

Once Sasha had finished eating she ran over to Marcus with glee.

"Uncle Marras!"

"Hello Sasha!" He picked her up and sat her on his lap.

Sasha still couldn't pronounce his name properly and referred to him as uncle which Marcus thought was sweet.

"How's preschool going?"

"It's good. I love to paint in art."
Art reminded him of Melissa.

Kiana walked in and produced a painting Sasha had done.
It was of two children playing in a park.

"Wow Sasha this is great!"

"Thanks Uncle Marras!" A few minutes later dinner was served.
In front of Marcus sat a huge piece of tender steak.

"Enjoy buddy." Billy said as Marcus dug in.

Once they'd finished eating Marcus thanked them both for inviting him round. The evening had cheered him up. But one thing was still at the back of his mind.

Marcus excused himself to go to the bathroom. When he had been he noticed Billy's office door was open ajar. Inside it was full of cop stuff which was unfamiliar to Marcus but one thing wasn't.

Behind his desk chair was a wooden door leading to a cupboard. Marcus knew what was in there because Billy had shown him a few times before. He opened the door and gazed around.

A large box sat on the top shelf.
Inside were several different types of guns. Marcus knew this was the only time he'd have access to a gun and he wouldn't miss this opportunity.
He had been shooting before with Billy a few times and was pretty good at it. Looking around he picked up a .44 Magnum and felt the weight in his hand before slipping it inside his jacket.

Please vote for each chapter! 🌟