Part Eight

Marcus followed the man down the street. He was walking at a fast pace and eventually caught up with him but kept a few yards back.
The man was staggering a little bit due to the drink. Marcus spotted an alley up ahead. He knew this was his opportunity.

"Oi!" He shouted and the man turned around.

"What the fuck do you want?" He began to walk towards Marcus.

"To finish what you began." Marcus replied and punched him square in the face.
He wasn't as well built as Marcus or as sober so he didn't have the upper hand.

"You think it's funny to start shit with people that you can't finish yourself?"
He gave him a right hook to his jaw.
The man fell to the ground.

"Look man I'm sorry." He mumbled and spat out a mouthful of blood.

"Sorry isn't good enough." With another punch he was knocked out.

But he wanted to continue.
Anger had overcome him so he stood above him, bent down and punched him again and again and again until he was well past consciousness.

The street was empty. After checking the man's pulse had stopped Marcus dragged the body into the alley and propped him against a huge garbage dispenser. Adrenaline was pumping through his body. He wiped his hands on his jeans and paced around whilst working out what to do next.

An idea popped into his head. The body was concealed by darkness so no one could spot it. Marcus raced home which was only a couple of minutes away and got into his car. Even though he'd been drinking he thought fuck it and drove back to the alley.

He went to get out of the car but noticed a small group of people approaching. They walked by talking enthusiastically amongst themselves.
Not one of them acknowledged the alley.

Who would go poking around there at two in the morning anyway?
When they'd gone he retrieved the body and dumped it into the trunk of the car.

He'd just murdered another person.
And this time he didn't feel as guilty.
He definitely had it coming to him. The worrying thing is this time he didn't feel as pressured by the voices.
Part of him actually enjoyed it.

What have I become?

He sat in the car debating what to do next. Where the hell would he dump the body? Then it occurred to him.
He still had both keys to the estates he had visited this week.

Starting the engine Marcus drove off to the nearest one which had something he needed to use. He had no other place to dispose of the body without someone finding it and the police tracing it back to him.
Or even worse his best friend finding out. So the only thing he could do was this.

He arrived at the estate which was the perfect family home. Only he had the keys to the house and it wasn't going to be on the market anytime soon so he was hoping this would run smoothly.

Marcus opened the trunk and picked up the body. It felt heavier than before so he put it back down again. He decided to unlock the door to the house first then get hold of the body again. No one was awake in the neighbourhood and all of the lights were out. The only thing guiding him were the street lamps which illuminated the road.

Once he was inside the house he blindly felt his way round til he found the cupboard he was looking for. He had left the body in the hallway. The basement was his only option.

He made his way down the stairs and turned the light on. For a moment fear engulfed him. He shook his head as if to shake it off and went back upstairs to get the body. It slid along the floor with ease as he dragged it along.

He stood at the top of the stairs leading down to the basement and pushed the body down them.
It landed with a huge crash as it hit the bottom.

When Marcus went to see the damage he'd done the man's skull must of broken because a pool of blood had appeared behind it. As he bent down to investigate his own head felt fuzzy and a ringing sound pierced his ears.
He blacked out.

Marcus was in the same basement as the familiar one in his dreams. The smell of copper filled his nose as he saw the mess. Blood was everywhere.
Running down the walls, seeping through the cracks of the ceiling and when he looked down it covered his hands. In fact his whole body was covered in blood.

He was stood by the body of the man but as every second passed it would dissappear more and more as it was submerged under the tide. The blood was coming up to his knees. He had to get out so he tried to run to the stairs. With every step he took it felt as if he was running through quicksand. It was difficult and it took twice as long.
But eventually he reached the stairs and made his way up to what felt like sanctuary.

When he was out he slammed the cupboard door and stood breathing heavily. The blood had vanished.
Not a single drop was on him.

What the fuck just happened?

Surely his mind was playing tricks on him. Perhaps this was all a dream.
But Marcus knew it wasn't because at the back of his mind he knew he'd just committed another evil crime.

Marcus sat in his apartment watching garbage TV at three in the morning. It was now Saturday and he knew he could have a lay in so he decided to stay awake.

He was trying to comprehend how he could have gone from being a normal guy who was two years off of being 30, sleeping with different women, going out drinking and enjoying life to taking two lives within a week.

Marcus didn't want to go sleep yet because he was afraid of what dreams would overtake him tonight.

Please vote for each chapter! 🌟