Part Thirteen

Marcus woke up shouting at 3:00am.
His breath was rasping and sweat dripped off him.

I just dreamt of murdering Melissa.

Surely he wasn't capable of doing such a thing?
Especially to someone so close.
He tried to go back to sleep but thoughts raced through his head so he went through his cell and read previous messages from her.
Seeing them calmed him down and he managed to finally fall back to sleep.

It was Wednesday and he woke up to his alarm ringing at 7:00am.
The estate needed to be ready to be sold by Friday.
He wasn't in a very good mood and his anxiety was bad which didn't help.
Work went by pretty fast and soon after he drove over to the estate with some garbage bags, cleaning materials, a power saw and a large knife which he sharpened earlier in preparation.

It was getting dark which he was glad of because he didn't want anyone getting too suspicious as to why he had been visiting the estate daily.
He went between the hours of eleven and one in the morning where he knew he would be hidden from any onlookers. But tonight he went early.
With his items in hand he entered the house.

The basement was no longer full of blood and a strong smell of decomposing flesh filled his nose.
All Marcus could see were the eight bodies lying in a row. There were five men and three women.
Their ages ranged from around 24 to 40 but they all had something in common.

Three stab wounds.

Not all of them had been killed in a fit of rage.
Some of them were just for fun.

But all of them were innocents.
He walked up and down the line feeling proud of what he'd done but they needed to be gone pronto.
Marcus wasn't in a good frame of mind today so he would probably be sloppy with this but he had to begin.
He chose the body to start with.
It was a man in his thirties.
When Marcus had killed him it had been because he was bored one night and fancied doing something to pass the time.

Murdering people helped him mentally.
His OCD seemed to dissappear and he felt in control of himself.
The only other time he felt okay was when he was with Melissa.

Marcus had looked up on the Internet earlier on how to cut up a body and he had some idea of how to do it.
Hopefully no one would see his browser history.

He stripped off the clothes of the man and turned on the power saw.
Because he was under ground he was hopeful that no one would hear the sound. First he decapitated him and that part was easy.
Two of the other corpses didn't have heads so he could skip that step.
He cut up the body parts into head sized chunks and after placed them into the garbage bags.

Blood was spurting everywhere.
Internal organs began to spill out and Marcus gagged several times.
He wiped his face with a dark towel and carried on.
Some parts were harder to cut than others but the knife helped.
When he was half way through his cell rang. It was Billy.
He wiped his hand on his jeans and answered.

"Hey man, I've gotta talk to you about something."

"What's up?"

"Look can I come round tonight? I'd rather speak to you in person. I can't wait long."

"Sure, come round at nine."

"See you then buddy."
Billy sounded worried.

Marcus would have to pick up the pace and dispose of the rest of the bodies and go home. When he had eventually finished he was tired.
If he hadn't killed so many people he wouldn't have had all this work to do.

It was half eight and he had finished cleaning up. The basement no longer looked like a blood bath.
He had to make three trips to the car with the bags and because he was in a rush he had to leave them in the trunk for a while.
Marcus sprayed a bit of air freshner and drove home.

When he got back he had ten minutes to clean up. He washed his face in the bathroom and changed his shirt.
Right on time the door buzzed.
Panic overcame him when he answered the door.
Did Billy know that Marcus was a murderer?

"Hey dude. Mind if we sit down?"

"That's fine, want a drink of anything?"

"No it's cool. Hey is that blood on your jeans?" Billy pointed to Marcus's right thigh.

"Oh yeah I cut my finger earlier when I was cooking." Marcus realised it wasn't his own blood.

Billy looked down at his hands.
"I see. Now just sit. I've got some news to tell you. I don't really know how you're going to take this."

"What is it?" Marcus looked up.

"I've found out how your brother died, it wasn't an accident."

Marcus felt his stomach turn to ice.

"Look I know it's a lot for you to take in but I always told you I'd keep an eye on that case even though it didn't look like it would be solved."

Marcus didn't know what to say.
Nothing came out of his mouth and he stayed silent.

"I'll give you a few minutes." Billy reached into a paper bag and picked out a doughnut.

"I'm ready. Tell me what happened."

"Sure. We all thought it was an accident how Lewis had died but that's not the case. It was his close mate who killed him."

Lewis had had a small group of friends who got him involved in drugs but Marcus didn't know who any of them were.
They had turned his life upside down.

"The man's name is Carter and he is the one responsible."

Anger welled up inside Marcus and his hands balled into fists.

"It happened the last night you saw him. You were there Marcus. Lewis and Carter were arguing over drugs."

"How do I not remember?"

"Because you fell down a flight of stairs. Carter pushed you and Lewis attacked him. It happened at three in the morning on the third of March."

"How do you know all of this Billy?"

"I knew some parts but not all of it. I needed to be able to see the bigger picture before I told you but now I know exactly what happened. I have been piecing parts together and now the puzzle is clear. It was only two years ago."

"Why don't I remember this?"

"You were pushed by Carter and had concussion for a week. You had no recollection of what had happened that night. Carter stabbed Lewis."

It suddenly hit Marcus.
This is why he was having these disturbing dreams.
It was all starting to come together.
Deep down Marcus must have known his brothers death wasn't an accident.
The dreams were his subconscious memory trying to tell him something wasn't right.

"Billy, where does Carter live?"

Please vote for each chapter! 🌟