Part Twelve

Marcus awoke to his alarm clock ringing at 7:00am.
He didn't suffer from a single nightmare last night and realised that when he killed he slept very well.
But how long could he keep them at bay for?

It was Monday and he got ready for work. He drank his coffee, popped a prozac, did his usual morning rituals and set off.

Work seemed to go quickly and after lunch he finally received a message from Melissa.
She had apologised for not getting back to him yesterday as she had to work longer and asked if he was free at six this evening.

He sent her a message back saying he could meet her after work but had no idea where they could go as she didn't drink. Marcus couldn't contain his excitement when she replied almost straight away telling him she had somewhere in mind.

They had arranged to meet on Clement Street and Marcus got there first. About five minutes later Melissa arrived. She wore a black faux fur coat, red scarf and looked happy to see him. He gave her a small embrace when they greeted each other.

"Good to see you again Marcus!"

"And you Melissa. So where are we going?"

She pointed to the right and said "There's a coffee house along there, it's open til nine!"

"Sounds good to me."

As they walked towards it Marcus realised he'd never noticed this coffee place before. Upon entering the strong aroma of coffee filled his nose.
It was quite busy and people were sat down chatting. The menu was huge.

Dozens of different types of coffees were written down in chalk on a board. They both ordered a Mocha and Marcus went large.
Melissa spotted a table close to the window and they sat opposite each other. She took off her scarf and unbuttoned her coat. It was fairly hot in there so Marcus took his coat off and began sipping his coffee.

"Do you think this lives up to my coffee standards?" She asked and giggled.

"Oh I'm not sure, it's a tough decision!" He smirked.

"Oi you!"

"I'm kidding! Of course your coffee is much better."

She smiled and he couldn't help but be mesmerised by it.
Every time they spoke she seemed to show it off.

They talked about all sorts of things.
Marcus enjoyed talking to a woman over something non alcoholic for a change. They seemed to be on the same wave length and had similar interests.

He hadn't felt like this about someone in a long time. Especially so quick. He learnt that she was 23, lived in San Francisco since she was ten and had three siblings.
She studied art in her spare time and went to college, hadn't had a boyfriend for a year and had a cat which was pretty much her child.
Another two coffees arrived and the conversation never seemed to slow.

The hours flew by and soon enough they were told that it would be closing time in ten minutes.
They finished their drinks and left.
But when it was time to part ways Marcus felt disappointed that the night was over.
He was used to inviting women back to his apartment for one thing but felt he couldn't do this with Melissa.
Especially since they were both sober.

They both stood awkwardly in the cold. He decided to ask her if she'd like to meet again.

"Would you like to meet up again this week?"

"Sure, I'd like that. I'm not free til Friday though. I've got an assignment coming up and I gotta get it done."
Marcus thought about how far away that felt.

"That's fine. I guess I can wait til then."

As they said their goodbyes he pecked her on the cheek.
It felt cold but flushed a bright shade of pink when she smiled at him after.

"I'll call you." She got into a cab and he decided to walk home.

                             ***

Two weeks had passed since his first date with Melissa and he hadn't stopped killing.

He was falling for her fast. She'd been to his a few times but they'd only slept together once. It was amazing.
He had been a gentlemen and even cooked dinner for her.
When he was around her he felt great but when they were apart his mind ran wild and his anxiety grew worse.

He hadn't stopped killing.
Eight bodies now lie in the basement and it was starting to smell bad.
No one had been reported missing.
Every night he would go down there and applaud himself on his work.
One afternoon whilst he was in his office Rick told him the estate would need to be sold within a week.
This news made Marcus panic.

What am I gonna do with the bodies?

After work he drove to the estate and made his way down to the basement.
As soon as he stepped down off of the stairs he took in the scene around him.

The walls were bleeding again.
A sea of blood surged around his feet.
The bodies were nowhere to be seen.

I must be hallucinating.

He ran up the stairs and out the front door.

Taking in a deep breath of air he looked up at the sky.
Marcus knew he was going insane.
He couldn't face going back down there again tonight so he drove home.

When he got back he had a phone call with Melissa.
He was starting to miss her already.
She had been round his last night and the bed smelt of her.
He brought the pillow close to him and fell asleep cradling it.

The warehouse was empty apart from some sort of medieval device hanging on the wall.
Attached to it was Melissa.
She was in her clothes spread eagled and gagged.
Marcus walked over to her and admired her beauty.
She was sobbing.
A mumbled cry came from her mouth and her eyes were wet.
In his right hand was a meat cleaver.
She began to wail as he waved it slowly in front of her.
He brought it to her waist and began to hack at it but with one clean cut she was split in half.

Please vote for each chapter! 🌟