two

Later in the day, Calum finds out that Ashton is in his music class. Ashton is pretty decent on a guitar, but after asking, he finds out the boy plays drums.

"That's cool," Calum says, intrigued, "I play bass. I hate the start of the year because we get new people in our class who don't know how to play instruments and so we all learn guitar. Again."

Ashton nods in agreement, strumming his guitar in a short and melodic tune before putting it down. "We should play together sometime," he says, smiling brightly. "Our garage is soundproofed so my house would probably be better."

"Yeah, that would be great. Me and Luke jam sometimes but he's always busy being significantly more popular than me," Calum says. "Or something."

Ashton looks up at him, surprised. "I can't imagine why. Luke seemed boring. You, on the other hand - well, you're you. Tell me something about you, Calum."

Calum crosses his arms in thought. Something about him? He wasn't very exciting. Just a regular guy. Average. Boring.

"I'm not that great. I'm quite boring, actually," he says, shrugging, "What about you? Tell me something about you. Tell me why you moved."

Ashton laughs as though this idea is outrageous. Calum doesn't understand the joke, and frowns. "Well, its not very exciting, but I'm gay," he says, sitting on a desk nearby and beginning to swing his legs, "it's part of the reason why I moved."

"What, were you bullied for it or something?" Calum questions. He wants to know more about Ashton and his mysterious nature. Ashton draws him in and he doesn't know why.

"Or something," Ashton smirks.

"Well, I'm gay too," Calum tells him. He's usually more withdrawn about his personal details, but Ashton had just confessed the same thing to him.

Ashton grins with a cunning look on his face. "Well then, I have a proposition for you."

Calum decides not to answer, mostly because he was rendered speechless and doesn't have one but also because at this point the bell rings. Ashton jumps down from the desk where he was sitting and looks up at Calum.

"You should come over to mine tonight," he says.

"Oh?" Calum inquires. Is Ashton seriously going where Calum thinks he is with this?

"Yeah. I'll meet you at the gate after school," Ashton smiles, face too innocent for the thoughts that are running through Calum's head at the prospect of going to Ashton's house the day they met.

Before Calum can confirm that he'll be there, Ashton is gone. Calum blinks, confused.

Why did Ashton invite him to his house after they both announced they were gay? Calum questioned himself, before scolding, oh shut up Calum, you know why. You know why, and you're going to go.

Just don't tell Luke, his mind adds.

---

-charlie💓