ten

The next day, Ashton skips registration to avoid awkwardness. Calum and Luke both notice that he's nowhere to be seen, but Calum isn't ready to bring up Ashton sucking Luke off yet.

"So," Luke begins, oblivious, "There's a party this weekend."

"Oh?" Calum prompts. He's trying not to let Luke catch on to the fact that he's fucking pissed.

"Yeah, my friend Adam's. I got you invited by association," he jokes, face falling when he sees that Calum looks so nonplussed.

"How noble of you," Calum says, faking a smile to assure Luke that he's alright. He isn't, but he's not ready to lose Luke and Ashton in less than 24 hours.

---

When he sees Ashton in music later on, they don't speak or make eye contact. He hears someone call Ashton's name when the class is over, and he watches Ashton smile and run over to a tall guy with a streak of blond in his quiff that he's seen around a few times before.

He leaves before Ashton notices him, but he thinks his acquaintance might've.

He meets up with Luke to walk home, the blond seeming just as tired and hurt as he is. He doesn't bother to ask why because he knows, Luke just doesn't know why he knows.

"So, my brother said he'd give us a lift to Adam's since he lives in the middle of nowhere, and so kindly offered me some money to get a taxi home," Luke explains. Calum just nods.

If he was paying more attention he'd ask "which brother?" because Luke had mentioned Ben was visiting on his short break from university. Jack lived in their town with them in his own apartment, so it could've been either of them.

"See you later," Luke said, turning the corner that took him to his house. Calum's was only a street away.

"Yeah."

---

Although Calum was, in his opinion, a regular guy, he didn't know what regular guys wore to parties when they wanted to make a statement.

He didn't want to impress Ashton, as such, more like he wanted to say "you're gone and I'm doing fine".

It's only been a day, he cried internally, get a grip.

He groaned, going downstairs to the kitchen where his mum was making a cup of tea.

"Mum," he said, getting her attention.

"Yes, dear?" She asked sweetly.

"How do you impress someone you really like?" He asked, sitting down at the kitchen table. His mum took a seat across from him.

She seemed surprised by the question. "I'm not really sure, sweetie. It depends on what they like."

"I don't really know what they like." Calum said.

"Do they have a friend you could ask?"

"Probably, but I don't know any of them." Calum groaned, dropping his head into his hands. "They're so confusing."

Him mum nodded sympathetically, patting his head. "If you don't mind my asking, who is this person?"

Calum took a deep breath. "Well, his name's Ashton..."

"Uh huh?" His mum encouraged.

Calum gave her a look. "Mum. This is me coming out to you. Can you please be a little more surprised?"

His mum cleared her throat.

"Oh my God! Calum Thomas Hood! How dare you tell me something I already knew!"

Calum groaned, embarrassed. "Muuum!"

"I don't care, love. As long as you're happy, it's none of my business," she smiled, taking a sip of her tea that had now cooled down.

Calum smiled. "Thanks. You're the best. I love you."

"Love you too, honey. Now go back upstairs," she said, pointing at the stairs. "And don't come back down until you're sure Ashton's jaw will drop."

---

mum goals am i right? get ready to party in the next chapter😛

-charlie💓