Chapter 1: Enter New Kid

Locker 231. It has my name on it, ‘Aaron Hart.’    

I’ve heard it said that you can tell a lot about a person by what’s in their locker. Some lockers have perfectly organized shelves, some have mirrors, and some have gym clothes that haven’t been washed from over a month. I feel bad for the guy who has to clean out whatever is left at the end of the year. A lot of people hang pictures of celebrities inside the door. One of the ninth graders got suspended for having a picture of a topless girl in his locker. All the boys in his class were huddled around when the vice principal walked by. She looked like she was sucking on a sour candy when she saw it.

I have some books in my locker, but not much else. I wonder what that says about me.

I drift forward through the halls, vaguely watching the people around me when I feel two hands cover my eyes.

“Okay, Aaron,” a voice says to me from behind. It’s Maggie, my best friend. She may very well be my only real friend. “So, in a moment I am going to uncover your eyes. Then I'm going to show you my new haircut and ask you what you think.”

“And then I am going to tell you it looks great,” I say.

“Just like we practiced.” I have a bad habit of being more honest than Maggie would prefer.

“Won’t the compliment sound a little hollow now that it’s been coached?” I ask.

“I am okay with that actually.”

My eyes are covered, but I can almost sense the weird little lip pucker thing she does when she thinks I’m patronizing her.

“Are you ready?” Maggie asks.

“Go for it,” I say as she uncovers my eyes. She moves in front of me, spins around, stops so her back is to me, and then turns her head and gives me her best attempt at a sexy model pose.

A couple kids walking down the hall give us funny looks.

“Wow, it’s a pink pixie cut,” I say. I don’t think that was the reaction she was looking for.

Maggie turns to face me normally. She has the little lip pucker I love so much. “Try again.”

I laugh. “I mean it looks better than I expected.”

“One more time,” she says.

“Really, it looks great,” I say as sincerely as I can while holding back a laugh. She went from long brown hair to a very short hot pink cut. Her parents are going to kill her.

“Well, you got it in the end, but let’s just say there’s room for improvement.”

“You’re beautiful,” I say.

“Better.”

I look at the clock hanging on the wall. It’s almost time for class.

“What’s first period today?” I ask.

“You know you ask me that every day?”

“I’ve asked you that every day since third grade. You can’t cut me off now.”

“I have science, you have English,” she says. “I hate that I know your schedule better than you do.”

“I would be hopelessly lost without you.”

“You’re hopelessly lost with me.”

“You know,” I say, feigning sadness, “words hurt.”

“Prove me wrong. Get to class on time for once. I have science which is right here. You have English on the other side of the school,” Maggie looks at her watch, “And a minute and twenty seconds to get there.”

“Bitch,” I say, running to class.

“Seventy seconds, Air.”

I run across the school. I’m always late. My teachers have kind of just accepted it. I get this look that says, ‘when are you going to grow up Aaron?’ And then, occasionally, they ask to see me after class and pretty much just say that. It doesn’t really bother me, but since I’ve already started to run like I care, I have to keep going or else I will just look strange.

I get to class and slow down. I walk into the room right before the bell rings. My teacher, Mr. Cooper gives me this smile as if to say, ‘I think you’re finally starting to mature.’

I start to walk to my desk when I realize there’s someone sitting in my seat.

“Is this your spot?” the guy asks when he sees me staring at him. “Sorry, I’ve been playing musical chairs for the last twenty minutes.”

“No worries,” I say. There aren’t any extra desks in the class. I look around to see if anyone isn’t here today.

“I see you’ve met the new member of our class, Damien.” Mr. Cooper says to me as I stand stranded in the aisle. “I’ve requested another desk, but, as you all know, that might take a while. Aaron, in the meantime, I hope you don’t mind sharing a desk.”

“Of course not,” I say. It really doesn’t matter to me. I go to the front of the class and get a chair.

Mr. Cooper turns his attention to the rest of the class and says, “I expect you will make Damien feel welcome in our class and throughout the school.”

Mr. Cooper starts his lecture. I listen and take some notes.

I can’t help but look over at the new kid.

Damien has dark hair and bright blue eyes. He looks like he’s listening to the lecture, but he’s drawing in his notebook. He’s just making patterns.

I’ve been with the same group of people for at least three years and I’ve known most of them longer, since we all came from the same junior high. Damien is new and I’m curious. Besides, although she pretends to be too cool for gossip, I know Maggie will grill me for some later.