Chapter 24: The Sin of Existence

For six hundred years I felt no guilt.  I hunted and killed people, not for anything they had done, but for who they were.  I killed them for the simple sin of existing.

Legion was one of the beings that I hunted for this sin.  It was many and it had integrated its multiple selves into human society well.  It was a powerful demonic influence on this world, and I needed to cleanse it away.  At first I would merely kill the incarnation, but new bodies would be born to replace those I’d killed.  So, I began to capture them in hopes that if I killed enough at once, I could kill them all.  Then I made an incredible, horrifying discovery.  All of Legions bodies were linked to each other.  If I tortured the bodies I held prisoner enough, the others could feel it.  I could kill them with their souls screaming and all of Legion’s bodies would scream out in pain.  Sometimes, free Legion incarnations would kill themselves because they couldn’t bear feeling their brothers’ agony.

Eventually, Legion and its allies would try to rescue the bodies I held hostage.  And sometimes they were successful.  Other times, I would merely run out of bodies to torture.  Ultimately, I was never able to kill Legion, but I left terrible scars.

For six hundred years, Day thought I was cold and unfeeling.  I wish that were true.  The truth is that I enjoyed it.  The light gave me bliss and I enjoyed forcing out the darkness.  In my mind, the demons didn’t deserve to exist because of what they were.

Now I am newborn, and Legion is hunting me for the same reason.  To them, my existence is a sin, and I am to die for it.

I wake up in the morning to sirens outside.  The police are at my home.  I get dressed quickly and go out to talk to them.  One of the officers tells me to stand back.

There are three police officers and two nurses.

“Can we have a sample of your blood?” one of the nurses asks.

“What’s going on?” I ask.

“We suspect that this house might have been exposed to a dangerous biological agent.  Please let us test your blood,” one of the officers asks.

I feel panic rush through me.  Is this how Legion’s going to kill me?  I think.  And did I just get my mother killed too?

I let them test my blood.  I used to hate needles.  They would make me feel so physical, seeing my component parts taken out.  Now I can’t help but wonder if that blood is really part of me, or just part of an illusion so that I can interact with humans. 

The nurse says that I tested negative, but my mother tested positive.

“Don’t worry,” one of the nurses says to my mother.  “There are lots of possible explanations for a positive test.  This is just a precaution, but we need to get you into quarantine immediately.”

My mother agrees to go.  I’m a little flustered.  I don’t really understand what’s going on, but, before I know any better, two of the police officers leave with my Mum.

The two nurses go and then I’m alone with the third officer.  “Come with me,” she says.

“Are you Legion?” I ask.  I should at least get to know if I’m about to die.

“No,” she says.  She tells me that my mother’s alright.  She’s being taken to a safe facility until the Legion situation is resolved.  “My name is Jessica Page, I’m here to protect you.”

___________________________________________________________

***Note: More chapters are coming***

Thank you all for reading so far.  This is where a couple of my stories come together.  I'm doing my best to make all of the story lines stand alone on their own, but I would really appreciate if you guys all checked out my story Newborn!  I think you'll have an even richer reading experience seeing the different perspectives.  You'll learn more about Officer Jessica Page and her conflict with Legion.  There is also Anne Halton, a lesbian demon superhero (I know not all of you are big fans of lesbians, but please give it a shot).  There are also some parts of Aaron's story that didn't fit into this version of the story.

Please check it out!

http://www.wattpad.com/story/9161097-newborn

Sorry for the shameless plug.