Chapter 15: A Common Cause

There’s a little porch outside Maggie’s house.  She likes to sit outside, cuddled up on her big red chair, and read.  She’s doing some homework when a man walks by.

Maggie isn’t paying attention to the world around her.  She doesn’t notice him coming up to the house until he is almost standing over her.

“Knock knock,” he says, friendly enough.

Maggie looks up.  “What are you doing here?” she asks in a flat voice.  It’s Day.

“Can we talk?”

“About what?” she asks.  “How you fucked my best friend and won’t even answer his calls now?  How did you even get my address?”

“You gave it to me a couple days ago, when we were having lunch.  You said we should hang out some time.”

“I meant sometime following some sort of arrangement to meet up.  Or at least a phone call or text message.  Although, given what an ass you’re being to Aaron, I’d say I’d rather you never come here again.”

“Please.  Can we talk?  I’m worried about Aaron.”  Day sounds desperate, so Maggie closes her book and sits up.

“If you’re so worried about him, you should talk to him yourself.  I mean, he’s probably pacing around his room waiting for you to call.”

“I can’t,” Day says.

“Well, why not?”

“That’s what I want to explain.”

“Okay,” Maggie says.  She gestures towards the empty chair next to hers.  “Sit down, and tell me why you are being a total ass to my best friend.”

Day sits.  He breathes in for a second, thinking about where to start.  “I think Aaron’s involved with someone bad.  It’s hard to explain, but last night, after Aaron and I, you know.  He did this weird thing.”

“Please don’t get too graphic, he’s like my little brother.”

“It’s nothing like that, it’s just this thing I could feel.  I know this sounds crazy, but I’m worried it was something bad.  Do you know anything about it?  Has he said anything or shown you anything?”

Maggie doesn’t answer.  She doesn’t really trust Day.  She doesn’t want to tell him too much, but, with her silence, she confirms his fear.

“Do you know anything?” she asks.  “What do you think you felt?”

“It’s complicated,” Day says.  “Has Aaron mentioned anything or anyone to you?”

Maggie is hesitant, but she’s worried.  She is so afraid of the light and she wants to know if Day can help.  “Yes,” she says.

“Please,” Day says, “tell me what you know.”

“Aaron met someone in the woods that night you were both chased by that animal.  Since then, he’s been learning about something he calls the light.” Maggie swallows.  It’s hard for her to talk about.  “I don’t really understand what it is.  Aaron tried to show it to me once.  He wanted me to feel it.”

“He touched you with his light?  Are you okay?” Day asks.  He seems genuinely worried.

“I’m alright,” Maggie says.  She isn’t really.

Day takes her hand, as if to comfort her, “Do you know anything else?” he asks.  He doesn’t question Maggie’s sanity or the reality of the light or the strange man in the woods.  He just accepts it.

Maggie looks into his eyes as a wave of somber honesty overtakes her.  “Do you believe in all of this?  I saw something that seemed impossible.  I felt something impossible.  But I still can’t believe it.  Am I going crazy?”

“No.  It’s all real.  Insane, maybe, but real.  Please, I need your help.  Aaron needs your help.  What else has he told you?  I don’t care how unbelievable you think it is.”

“This ball of light comes to him, and he follows it to the glowing man.  Aaron believes he’s an angel.  And the angel is teaching him how to control the light,” Maggie says.

Day looks worried.  He’s already going through a list of possible people who could pull off such a feat.  “Is there anything else you can tell me?”

Maggie shakes her head no and Day releases her hand. 

“So, why can’t you talk to Aaron?  He’s really upset," Maggie says.

“I’m sorry, but it’s too dangerous out there now with the angel.”

“Are you afraid of him?” Maggie asks.  She’s starting to think that she should be too.

“No,” Day says.  “I can handle myself.  I don’t want to bring too much attention to myself, or to Aaron.  I’m just worried if it comes down to a fight, someone might get hurt.  I just want to protect Aaron.”

"What do you mean you can handle yourself?” Maggie asks.  “Are you some sort vampire or something?”

Damien looks annoyed.  “Why is everything vampires these days?” he asks indignantly.  “Vampires aren’t hot.  Vampire is the STD of the supernatural community.”

Maggie laughs.  “So vampires are real too?  And angels?  What about werewolves?  What’s out there?”

“So much is out there.  But it’s not what you think.  I mean look up into the sky, and feel the vastness of the heavens above.  I try not to say that anything is impossible.”

“So, what are you?” Maggie asks.

“Well, according to you, I’m an asshole.”

“Fuck you,” Maggie says, although a part of her loves some decent banter.

“So, do you think you can find out anymore from Aaron?” Day asks.

“Honestly, I don’t know how much Aaron knows.  Do you know anything else?”

“I have some ideas,” Day says.  “But you can’t mention any of this to Aaron for now.”

“Fine,” Maggie says, “but we work together on this.  I want to know what you know.”

“I have to follow some leads to see if I know anything.  Call me if you find out something new.  I’ll do the same.”

“There better be something seriously bad going on,” Maggie says.  “Because if you’re just making up excuses to avoid calling Aaron because of some weird fear of intimacy shit, I will hurt you.  I don’t care how well you can handle yourself, or whether or not you have fangs.  Aaron is family and I’ll avenge his broken heart.”