Chapter 18: Where Angels Dwell

Maggie looks around.  She’s downtown by the university.  There are a bunch of apartments, mostly housing students.  She skipped last period to get here on time. 

“Maggie!” Day calls out.  She turns around and sees him walking towards her.

“There you are.  I wasn’t sure this was the right place,” she says.

“Honestly, I’m not sure it is.”  

“Where exactly are we supposed to find the angel?” Maggie asks.

Day points at the building they are closest to, “Apartment 203.”

Up until now, Maggie was just taking things as they come, hoping something came about, but her stoic nature could only take so much. “So, the angel lives in this rundown apartment?”

An angel lives here.  The question is whether it’s the right one.”

Maggie isn’t reassured.  “Why would an angel live here?”

“They have to live somewhere don’t they?” Day says.  “Are you ready to go in?”

“Fine, but once we figure this out, you’re going to come clean to Aaron, right?  I don’t like keeping this from him.  He deserves to know what’s going on.”

“Of course.  I know he must hate me right now, but I have to stay away from him until I know it’s safe.”

“Alright, onwards and upwards then,” she says heading towards to building.

Together go inside the building, making their way up to the apartment.  Day knocks on the door and a chubby twenty something year old boy with greasy unkempt hair comes out to meet him.

“Is Nick here?” Day asks.

“Yeah,” the guy says, “He’s in his room.  Want me to get him?”

“That won’t be necessary,” Day says, entering without any further conversation or permission.  Maggie follows, slightly embarrassed to be so clearly violating social convention.  The boy at the door stands there for a moment, unsure of what he should do, but he ultimately accepts the intrusion without any objections, as Damien had willed him into irrelevance. 

The apartment itself is a mess.  There are old cans on the coffee table.  The garbage is overflowing.  There are some pizza boxes by the door.  The whole apartment has the dank smell of weed.

“What is that thing in the corner?” Maggie asks.

“It’s a college dorm.  There are some questions better left unanswered.”

“Yeah,” Maggie says, “but aren’t we looking for an angel?”

“You’re about to meet one,” Day says.  Looking around he adds, “Don’t expect too much.”

They walk over to Nick’s room and Day knocks on the door.

“So, I couldn’t help but notice that you didn’t wait for an invitation before you came in the apartment,” Maggie says as they wait.

“I told you, I’m not a vampire,” Day says, knocking again.

“Apparently, you’re not very courteous either.”

Before Day can justify his behaviour, Nick opens the door.  He stands there, pale faced.  His eyes are bloodshot, and matt complexion is anything but glowing.  Maggie can’t believe she came all this way to meet some burn out.

“Who are you?” Nick asks.

“I’m Damien, spawn of the dissonant note.”

Maggie doesn’t understand what that means, but the word spawn is rarely used to describe warm fluffy good guys.