Chapter 5: Do You Still Believe in God?

I must find the Sword of God.  What does that mean?

I’m sitting on the couch in my basement beside Maggie.  I just keep replaying what happened in my head over and over again, hoping that it makes sense.  I haven’t told anyone what happened yet.  Who would believe me?

After giving me his message, the glowing man disappeared.  At least I think he was a man.

Was he an angel?

Day called me a couple minutes after the man was gone.  Apparently, the animal in the woods didn’t follow him either. 

“It was probably chasing a squirrel or something,” Day said. 

I assume he was right.  This is suburbia, animals don’t attack humans here.  Afterwards, we tried to meet up again, but we had trouble finding each other and we both just decided to go home.

Maggie turns to me. “Do you want to watch a movie?” she asks.

I can’t keep what happened to me to myself.  Secrets drive people crazy but I don’t know how to talk about this.  ‘Hey, Maggie seen any glowing guys around?’ just doesn’t feel right.

There’s a small cross hanging around her neck.  She always wears it.  I look at it and it’s something I can cling to.

“Do you believe in God?” I ask.

She looks surprised by the question, a little put off.  “What?”

“Do you believe in God?” I ask again.  “I was just looking at your necklace and I was wondering.”

Maggie smiles and reaches for the cross.  It’s silver.  She grasps it in her hand and says, “It was my grandmother’s.”  It’s strange how objects can connect us to lost loved ones.  “She was Protestant and my grandfather was Catholic.  Back in the day, it was a big deal.  Apparently, when he gave it to her he said that if it didn’t burn through her skin, it would keep you safe forever.  She always said that it did pretty well.”

I smile. 

She didn’t answer my question.  “But do you believe in God?”

She takes my hand.  “Aaron,” she says looking into my eyes.  “It’s time that we talked.  I know you’re not so great about sharing your feeling and all that, but you have to know that it doesn’t matter to me who you’re with.  If you’re scared because of God or religion or any of that stuff, don’t be.  I can’t believe that if there’s really a God, or something like it out there, that he would care who you love.  I mean, I would like to think that he cares that you do love, and that you’re happy.  I just can’t believe that what’s between someone’s legs is what counts.”  She takes a breath, “What I am trying to say is that you need to love.  I believe in love.  Love is good and it doesn’t matter if it’s with a man or a woman.  And I’ve just said love a lot of times.”  She puckers her lips, annoyed with herself.  “I’m not saying this right, but I love you Aaron, no matter what.”

I look at her, unsure if what to say.  This is so not what I meant to talk about, but I’ve let her flounder around long enough.  I hug her.  I wish this had come up at a different time.

After a couple seconds, we let go of each other.

“I am so glad we are finally talking about this,” Maggie says.  “That kiss really freaked me out.”

“I don’t know why I did that,” I say.  “I just didn’t think.”

“There isn’t anything wrong with it,” Maggie says.

“How long have you known for?”

“Remember when we were in the seventh grade and you had a crush on Lisa Henderson?”

“Yeah,” I say, hesitantly.  Did Maggie know before me?

“Let’s just say, even then I thought you were kidding yourself.”

“What was wrong with Lisa?  She was pretty”

“And all you talked about was what great taste in clothes she had.”

“Did you see her shoes?  And she always coordinated her accessories.  I think I loved that girl.”

“You wanted to be her,” Maggie says.  “There’s a difference.”

We laugh.

“Get out of my head,” I say playfully. 

We’re quiet.  For a moment I had forgotten and things were normal, but they’re not, and need to talk to her.  I have to trust her because otherwise I don’t have anyone and I’m alone in this.

“There’s something else I need to talk to you about,” I say at last.

“What?” she asks.

“Something happened and I need someone to believe me.”

Maggie takes my hand again. “I will,” she says.

I start to tell her what happened last night. 

“After working on the project for a bit, me and Day decided to go for a walk in the park.”

“He’s so cute,” Maggie says. “Did you guys kiss?”  She’s excited.

“No,” I say, “Day just happened to be there.”

 I tell her the rest of my story.  She tenses up as I describe the animal that chased us.  When I describe the luminescent man and his words, she has to cut in.

“Are you messing with me?” she asks, but she knows me well enough to tell that I’m not.

“No,” I say.  “I swear.  But I am not sure that someone isn’t messing with me.”

“And Damien didn’t see anything?” Maggie asks.

“He said he didn’t see anything, but I didn’t tell him exactly what I saw either.”

We’re quiet again.

“So, what’s the Sword of God?” Maggie asks.

I don’t know.  “That’s what I need to find out.”

“So, either someone is going to extreme lengths to mess with you, or we’re dealing with magic.”

“Could it be divine intervention?” I ask.

“That falls under magic.”

“What do we do now?”

“I guess we try to find the Sword of God,” Maggie says.  She doesn’t sound that convinced.  “I mean, it should be more fun than watching The Sound of Music for the thousandth time.”

And I thought she liked The Sound of Music.

“Where should we start?” I ask.

 Maggie gestures to the computer, “I think it’s time to consult the all powerful internet.”