Chapter Ten: Numb...

Chapter Ten: Numb...

The morning sun rays danced across the white walls; defining the cracks and small holes you would have not noticed in dim light. Sandra, with her dark brown eyes stared towards the imperfect wall directly beside her temporary bed. The slightest thought of getting out of bed was not in her favor as her stomach aches, head spins and skin feels like she slowly walked into fire. The poor young woman shivered, but she was not cold.

Can this be? A fever?... Sandra could not think of her sudden illness as her stomach sent out a wave of pain; making the ill woman groan in agony and clenched her stomach with both hands.

"I am here lass," said Doc, as she stretched out his short legs to hurry to Sandra's side; with herbs in one hand and a kettle pot full of hot water in the other.

Doc set himself on his weak knees before gently turning the ill young woman to face him. The worry on his face was not unnoticed by Sandra, but the pain was keeping her from commenting. Only groans and whimper escaped her mouth at the moment as drops of sweat dripped down her face. "Everything is going to be okay." said Doc as he crumbled herbs into the hot water.

Soon Evelyn walked into the small and also drafty room with a cooling bowl of water and a clean cloth to wipe Sandra's sweat and tears away. "What is the matter with her, Doc?" The older woman asked with a great amount of concern in her voice; as if she was seeing her own child going through such horrible pain.

For the first time ever, Doc did not have an accurate answer to this case. "I-I do not know. Sandra drink this," Doc used his trails hands to lift up Sandra's head so she can sip the warm water full of dissolving herbs.

The bitter taste was definitely not pleasing, the ill young lady wanted to spit the medicine out of her mouth; but kept it in and drunk all of it. As soon as she laid back down, the stomach pain died down, although, her fever did not exactly improve.

Evelyn- being the caring woman she is; sat down next to Sandra before sapping the damp cold rag on Sandra's room forehead and neck. "Rest, child."

In which, Sandra slowly closed her eyes as if she was trying to fight sleep but sleep won the battle. Her rapid breath became steady and her body completely became numb under the cool rag.

Defeat was the feeling Sandra was going through at that moment. Her body was sore as if she was hit by a log over and over again, tongue dry, and stomach empty as if she hasn't eaten for several days. This was all new to the young woman, considering she has never gotten sick back in Litchfield; even though the land was full on illness in disease. Sandra would always be the lucky one to not catch an illness that can make her suffer like she just did.

During the painful moment, Sandra thought death would come for her at any moment to take her away.

The thin layer of linens was instantly removed from her warm body. Sandra groans as she sat up to only feel her bones grind together. "You should not move, Sandra." said Evelyn while she sat in the uncomfortable chair by the old and unusable fire place. "Your body almost gave out on you." The older woman stated as she examined her needle work.

"W-what happened? Why am I ill?"

Evelyn sighed before putting her full attention to the young woman. Her calm features instantly became stern with worry and hurt as she looked over Sandra's weak state. "We do not know. It is very uncommon to have that type of pain on this island; unless you are a sailor, however, even sailors barely have that type of pain."

"Am I well enough to leave the house and go to another. Tis a specialist event tonight and I do not want to disappoint Kiran." Sandra stated with a sigh.

"Tonight? Sandra, you are not well enough to walk out this room nor to get out of bed by yourself. Surly, Miss Kiran will understand and I'm sure Francine will share the unfortunate news."

"It felt like I was dying," Sandra mumbled under her breath as she touched her numb legs. "But here I am, awake with no clue on what happened to me."

Evelyn clenched her hands into a fist as she thought of death walking into this room and taking the one person that did not deserve him- at least not at this day in age. "Thank the gods, death did not take you. Especially not without a fight."

Sandra did not speak more about death nor the sudden fall of illness. Thinking about it, made Sandra think about Nala and Khari; how they did not live long enough to even marry or better yet find love.

Instead, she wished for silence or even good news to lift her spirit, and to take her mind on the unfortunate mishaps. "Any news? Any mail from my father or... Anton and Alex?" Sandra had to ask.

Evelyn sighed before taking out a thin folded paper from her apron. "Known from the boys, but one from your father." said the older woman as she walked over and placed the thin paper into Sandra's hands.

Sandra did not crack a smile, nor cry in joy. Not because she was numb- physically and emotionally; but because she wishes for her father to write back- now that he did, she knew that he would want her back home. A part of her did want to go home, but the other part wanted to stay on this beautiful island under the sun, near the beach, and with villagers that does not frown upon you when you're being kind.

"Well, aren't you going to read it?" Evelyn questioned.

The young woman still hesitated before opening up the thin paper to see her father's horrible cursive writing that only she could understand. Her dark brown eyes scan over the words over and over again, to take everything in. Jabari did not write much, but still gotten to his point:

He wanted his only daughter home...

"He wants me home," said Sandra as she put the paper to the side.

"D-do you want to go home?" Evelyn stepped closer while holding her breath in hoping she would receive the answer she wants to hear.

Sandra slowly shook her head no, "No, I do not. This beautiful island grew on me, it grew on me so much that I see it as my home now."

Letting out the breath she has been holding in, Evelyn took Sandra's soft hand in hers before giving it a light pat. "You have to do what's best for you. I am pretty sure your father would understand that you are happy here."

"I- He would be so lonely. I am the only person he has left, I can't just leave my father by himself." Sandra stated before speaking up again. "I would have to sleep on this. I am not thinking straight, a lot has happened this morning."

"Of course," said Evelyn as her smile slowly faded away. "Get your rest, if you need me just yell and I will be by your side."

Sandra nod her head before, once again laying down under the thin layer of covers. "Thank you, Evelyn." She mumbled before the numb feeling she gotten after drinking the yea came back and send her off into a deep sleep.