Chapter Twenty-Three: Precious Jewel...

The market was a lively place, as lively as a festival. People all over the world came to this small local market to trade off their goods if the docks were filled; jewels from Spain, mirrors from France, and clothing from West India- all the products in the world here, at the villagers grasp for a good and reasonable price.

Sandra had the urge to buy them all, from the jewels to clothing. The fascination of having different and odd things in her grasp made her feel wonderful and different from the rest. Back home, Sandra and her father held the title of being different; considering the north did not have much African descents, unless they were slaves. Even then, Sandra and her father was different; since Jabari brought his freedom by paying for a document to prove so, and made sure Sandra was free as well.

Although Sandra want to buy all the jewels and clothing, she eyed a specific jewel- a silver necklace with a a circular smooth like crystal that seemed to hold a blue glow in the middle. The young woman never seen such a jewel so unique and beautiful; she definitely wanted it. She wanted it so much, Sandra detached herself from Kiran- who was already busy touching fabric to wrap her child in when it's born.

Sandra stood in from of the table full of treasure while a chubby, gray bearded, and sweaty man stood on the other side; looking rather unpleasant with a frown on his face. Also, he was rather impatient; proving such thing, he immediately snapped at Sandra with his middle eastern accent Sandra was not use to hearing on the island. "What do you want?" His voice was like thunder, sending fear to the young woman.

Sandra reached to the jewel but hesitated once she spotted the man tensing as if she would one away with the treasure. "The jewel, how much do you ask for?"

The man grunted before snatching the beautiful artifact off the dirty table, "This," he dangled the jewel in front of her face; teasing her... taunting the woman as if she was not good enough to buy such a piece of art that fell from its canvas. "Is worth more than your dress, little girl." He spat; literally- right next to Sandra's feet.

Sandra stepped back, just invade he aims more to the left. "I said, how much do you ask for?"

The chubby man grumbled unpleasant words in his native language, "Forty pounds.... Like I said, it is worth more than your dress, now go along and take your ragged clothes else where."

Sandra grumbled a few unladylike words under her breath before averted her eyes to the stone dangling in front of her. "Can you at least tell me what kind of stone 'tis is ?"

The chubby man did not hesitate, he opened his mouth to speak, letting his beard move along the warm breeze. "A moon stone."

"A moon stone? I never heard such a thing." She was now impressed and wanted the jewel even more; of not the whole necklace, then the stone.

"Aye, they are very rare. Many say it was kissed by the moon's light, other say a piece of moon fell from the sky."

"What does few say?" Sandra questioned, wanting to know the mysterious stone.

The chubby man face twisted in distaste, "The few does not have much adventure, and say 'tis just a stone from rocks. I, on the other hand, believe it was a blessed by Mah- the moon goddess. She blessed a rock and blessed it to make the rock look beautiful. That is why it is rare and very inexpensive."