Chapter Seveteen: Darkness and Light...

Chapter Seventeen: Darkness and Light...

Even though the day was cloudy, cold, and the villagers did not hold smiles upon their faces that morning; Sandra was happy, and cheerful as she walked along the market to buy fresh food for her father; since just leaving off porridge and goats milk is not nutritious- as Sandra would put it. So, by convincing both; Anton and Jabari- Sandra managed to go out by herself without having a shadow behind her as she takes every step.

As Sandra gave smiles and good greetings, she received frowns and harsh words in return. Usually, she would frown upon the person and curse them to hell in her head; however, as long she kept touching the smooth copper ring on her finger- Sandra did not care and kept a smile on her face.

With a slight full basket in her hand and her favorite warm navy blue cloak on; Sandra felt satisfied with her choosing. The young woman decided to turn back home, to only make sure the two men in the cozy cottage would not form a search party just to find her.

As Sandra turned around, her smile instantly disappeared when she stood face to face with the one person who she dared not to think about during her time on Trades Island. Not even a cooper ring can put a smile back on Sandra's face as she stood upon Nala's mother- who held sorrow on her face ever since her daughter's disappearance.

The older women's dark green eyes studied Sandra as soon as the young woman turned. It did not take long to recognize the brown skin beauty, as her features became soft; sorrow was no longer on her pale and flappy features formed by stress- more like surprise and relief. "Sandra, I knew that was you!" Her skinny arms wrapped around Sandra's shoulders, pulling her in to a tight hug that was more than just a simple greeting.

"Misses Murphy," excitement did not coat Sandra's words; sorrow and guilt spilled out.

Misses Murphy pulled away with tears of joy in her eyes, making the rim of her eyes turn pink. Her stress wrinkles seemed to slowly disappear as her heart begin to pick up again. "Your back, I am so glad. Please dear.. Please tell me Nala is back home as well."

What can I say?... Sandra thought. Her heart is as weak as old men knees.... Sandra could not open her mouth to say the most heartbreaking news for a mother such as Misses Murphy. However, her lack of words broke the older woman's heart even more than Sandra expected.

Tears did not come out first, a loud cry came out of Misses Murphy's mouth; causing the village to put their attention on the heartbroken mother. Sandra reacted quickly, by grabbing Misses Murphy before she fell in the muddy ground.

"Misses Murphy-"

"Please Sandra, take me away from here; I do not want them to see me at a weak state." The older woman cried out as she tried to stable herself to walk.

Sandra agreed, since she thought it was best for Misses Murphy to have a private time to herself, instead of having all these judgmental eyes on her.

It did not take long for the two to find their way into Misses Murphy's cottage. The same ole smell of pumpkin spice and tobacco filled Sandra's nose, making her insides cringe in guilt.

The young woman helped Misses Murphy sit in her wooden rocking chair that creaked from the slightest touch. Once the older woman was settled in with a fresh pot of tea that she made earlier that morning, Sandra nod her head in satisfactory; mainly from Misses Murphy's comfort.

"Please, do stay Sandra." Misses Murphy spoke up after the long awkward silence they shared between them.

Sandra nod her head before taking a seat in the smaller chair across from the woman that practically raised her. When Nala and Sandra first met, Misses Murphy instantly took her in as her own; seeing that Sandra did not have a mother to teach her how to be a lady and told her what's right and wrong. In which, Misses Murphy succeeded in her teaching and helped made Sandra into a woman she is now.