Chapter Eighteen: His Light...

Sandra has never been so sick, not from the rough waves, nor the horrible smells of the men; but because of the butterflies in her stomach. They was going home with big news; she did not know what to expect.

"Why so quiet?" Josiah questioned as he looked out towards the rough seas, not bothering to give a glance towards the beauty next to him; even though he wanted to take a look- just a peek.

However, he refrained from doing so; in which he was not the only one fighting this urge. Ever since Anton asked Sandra's hand in marriage, not a single man took a glance nor spoke to Sandra out of terms- a sign of respect towards the couple, especially Anton.

Sandra sighed before opening her mouth, but immediately closed it. Words could not explain how she felt about the situation. "Tis no words to explain my feelings,"

"That hard, huh?" Josiah finally looked down at her, but just her face- nowhere else. "Do not be afraid to speak to me, Sandra. I am like a treasure chest; things come in, but nothing comes out."

"Unless a certain someone has a key." said Sandra as her eyes landed on Josiah face, but there was no sign of attraction- not even a speck of lust. She only see Anton as such...only he can affect her in such way.

"Aye, well, tis not wise to tell me."

"Do not be naive Josiah, my thoughts are not anything to keep inside. I just need the right person to listen."

Gesturing to himself, Josiah could not help but smile as if he done a good deed. "I am all ears."

"I'm nervous," Sandra breathed out as if she was getting the feeling off her chest; in which, she was. "Not of the wedding... Of the whispers, judgment, shame and looks. Negativity..."

"Negativity? Let's see," Josiah scratched his beard ever so slowly before speaking out. "Like an old wise man once said- negativity is just the factor of life that tries to bring you down, lass. What else is bothering thee? Tis not shame, you are too good for shame."

"No one is too good for shame, " Sandra stated before adverted her eyes to the other side of the ship, where music played and men- including Steward. The young woman could not help but smile; just seeing their joy, immediately washed all of the rumors about pirates out of Sandra's head. Once she thought traders/pirates where savage creatures; now Sandra sees them as men- normal men with feelings, hearts, and families. "Do you have family at home, Josiah?"

"No," said he, as his deep voice drops in disappointment and shame. "Grew up as an orphan."

Of course, Sandra did not suspect that response- since she's not use to the southern ways and lifestyle. In the north, there are not much orphans- only a few, but the few are taken care of by kind souls who lost their sons and daughters from the winter cold or war. With children, the north has a soft spot for them; unlike the south where they spit on orphans and treat them like dogs because of their lack of currency.. "Do you know what happened to your sire and mother?"

Josiah lips did not turn into a deep frown, more like a small smile was place upon his face. "Oh, I wish. I use to make stories in my head about my parents; my sire would be a British solider, and my mother would be a lost beautiful princess. Many stories, but none that is true."

"Sorry," Sandra squeaked out.

The handsome stern man shook his head, "You are not at fault, Sandra."

The young woman decided to say no more on the subject, instead, stayed quiet and looked upon the rough sea; which was not a good choice on her end, since her stomach flipped from her mild sea sickness.