15

qotc: what were you doing before you read this chapter?

aotc: lmao writing chapter 14 tbh 

a/n: listen i know a big part of adrianna's character is basketball but i know nothing about basketball and like the gender/sports thing isn't the main theme of the story so i did skip over most of the basketball season so i'm sorry but i mean at least you get the championships.

adrianna had led the riverside gators to another year at the championship game. sadly, the gators weren't doing too well, and the boys basketball team booing them from the bleachers wasn't helping. adrianna was too distracted to play basketball. her feelings for michael had only grown, molly had been persistent about adrianna coming out, her parents homophobia was poisoning her, and unlike every other championship game adrianna had played, michael wasn't in the stands.

the final buzzer rang and the gators had lost 15-30. adrianna sighed looking at the buzzer. she was lucky it was too late for northwestern to pull her scholarship. she knew the basketball coach understood people had bad games, but adrianna was sure that she had just lost all of her skill. the girls from the team tried to cheer adrianna up by telling her that it wasn't her fault, but the snickering coming from calum hood was deafening to adrianna. she walked into the locker room and changed into her regular clothes. the team invited her out for ice cream, but adrianna was too broken up to go out with them. when adrianna left the locker room, she was greeted by calum hood.

"leave basketball to the boys, huh?" he shoved her and she shot him a glare.  

"you and i aren't that different calum, except for the fact that one of us has a full basketball scholarship to a division one school and one of us doesn't," adrianna retorted. calum huffed and walked off. 

molly came up to adrianna. "i thought you did really good. you were the only one who scored points for the team-"

"i could've done better. i could've won," adrianna huffed.

"well if you're always looking at the 'could've''s you're never going to have a happy life," molly told her.

"yeah, whatever," adrianna pushed past her, trying to get outside.

"c'mon, let's just go back to my house and hang out, you'll feel better," molly rubbed her shoulder. adrianna shrugged her hand off and continued walking to her car. she only stopped to turn around and look molly in the eyes.

"molly, i really just need to be alone right now, okay.  why don't you come over later tonight, i'll talk to you then. i just need some time alone," adrianna said. molly nodded and sighed. she watched as adrianna got into her car and drove away. 

--

adrianna wasn't really sure what had brought her to michael's door. she remembered when she missed the winning basket for a championship when she was younger and michael comforted her. she needed that right now.

michael answered the door, surprised to see adrianna there. 

"is luke here?" adrianna asked. michael shook his head, which prompted adrianna to throw her arms around him. she started crying into his chest and michael didn't know why.

it was a few minutes until michael gasped in realization, "i missed your championship!" adrianna only nodded in response. "adri, i'm so sorry. it slipped my mind completely. did you do good?"

adrianna removed her face from his chest and looked him in the eyes. "does it look like i did well?" 

michael pouted and brought adrianna inside and up to his room. he sat her down on his bed rubbed her back as she cried. 

"i've never had a worse game.  never," adrianna sobbed.

"there's no way all this," michael gestured towards adrianna's fit, "is about a lost game."

"it's not," adrianna shook her head.

"well, tell me what it's about then," michael said. adrianna wiped her eyes and looked up at him.

"molly wants me to come out so we can be together in public and she want to introduce me to her parents as her girlfriend and i can't come out because of my parents and she doesn't understand that. and my parents are the most toxic people i've ever met and i can't deal with them anymore," adrianna ranted, "and you weren't there. you weren't at my championship game and you always were. even if you had the flu or you had a party to go to or you risked getting bullied, you were always there and you weren't there. i didn't know why. i thought you had ditched me for luke or you were mad at me for some reason or you just didn't care anymore, i didn't know-"

"adrianna," michael sighed running a thumb over her cheek. she looked into his eyes. they were so sad, she knew he was upset about missing her game, but she still had the right to be upset. they looked into each other's eyes. her lips were so close to his and usually she would've had self control to stop it. she would've told herself what claudia told her "you don't like michael." but she couldn't tell herself anything else at the moment. she did like michael and she didn't want to have to hide it from him or herself anymore. she knew he was gay, but something came over her in that moment that caused her to place her lips on his.

and he kissed back. he kissed back hard like he meant it, like this was something he always wanted to do, but didn't know it until now. he kissed back as if adrianna was the only one he ever wanted and as if he didn't have a boyfriend and adrianna didn't have a girlfriend. he kissed back as if he had liked adrianna since the day they met. 

but then he stopped and pulled away leaving adrianna's lips feeling empty.

"that wasn't right," michael shook his head, "i'm dating luke, you're dating molly. it wasn't right. we're friends."

adrianna stared at him teary-eyed. she nodded, "you're right. i'm sorry. that was wrong.  i have to go home."

adrianna stood up from his bed and left his room. michael didn't say a word. 

adrianna left the clifford's in a rush and ran across the street and into her house. her parents weren't home so there was no questioning about her tears or where she had been as she ran up the stairs and into her room.

but adrianna had forgotten that she told molly to come over that night and the terrible realization hit her when she saw molly looking into michael's room from adrianna's desk with a look of pure disgust written across her face.

woop.

that's all. let me know what you think.

xoxoxo mary elizabeth