RR Chapter Three

Chapter three! Yet again.. starting off slow.. but what story doesn't? *sigh* Hope you enjoy.. getting a little drama involved! :)

___________________________________________________________________________________

    I woke up to the deafening noise of my alarm clock and pried my eyes open with all the motivation I had. Glancing at the clock I had to do a second look. It was 11:13 am. I slept through my whole shift. Panicking, I ran around my room throwing on random pieces of my work uniform and searched for my phone at the same time. I gave up and pulled my pants on the rest of the way and ran to the bathroom to brush my teeth. I realized I was still missing socks and ran down the hallway to the laundry room passing my mom on the way.

    “Kyle?” My mom shouted after me. I grunted in reply. I heard her follow me to the back and watch me try to pull on socks and brush my teeth at the same time. “You do know it’s Saturday right?” I nodded confused.

    “Wha do ya men?” I mumbled over my toothbrush and mouth full of toothpaste. I watched her smirk. Then that turned to a chuckle until she was full out laughing. “Ma!” I said trying to get her attention.

    “It’s Saturday Kyle..” I nodded my head in a ‘duh’ manner. “You don’t work weekends...” She choked out trying to keep from laughing again. The toothbrush fell out of my mouth and splattered toothpaste on the hardwood floor.

    “Are you serious! Ugh!” I face-palmed. My mom shook her head chuckling now. I grumpily picked up my toothbrush and stomped back to the bathroom to wash it and spit out the minty paste forming around my mouth.

    I walked back to my bedroom and flopped myself on my bed and yelled out in frustration. After a while of just laying there face down I got up and peeled off my dirty work clothes. I changed into some basketball shorts and a t-shirt. Mom was back in her room so I decided to make some sandwiches that we could take down to the beach and eat. I think that would be good for her. Grabbing the picnic basket and setting it by the door I walked down the hall to her room.

    “Mom.. I have a surprise for you.” I said knocking on the door. I heard shuffling behind it and leaned against the wall opposite of her door. She opened the door with a yawn. All her breath floating my way. I scrunched up my nose. “After you brush your teeth that is.” She glared at me a bit but made her way to the bathroom.

    “Wha ish it?” She said said peaking out of the bathroom. It was my turn to laugh at her. She still had sleep in her eyes from her nap.

    “We’re going to have a picnic. We live on the beach, might as well enjoy it.” She looks at me pondering the idea but eventually nods her head and goes back inside.

    When she was ready I grabbed the picnic basket and helped her down the stairs that led to the beach. We didn’t bother with shoes and the warm, textured sand caressed our toes. She smiled up at me. I had her by the elbow so she could still have some balance. Her steps were small but it was progress. Both of us pondered a spot. There were people here but not a lot since it was just reaching the afternoon. An empty spot near the water but far enough not to get wet was open and be both agreed. Taking a blanket out of the picnic basket I laid it down and helped her sit.

    After I had sat down I had put the basket between us and began dishing out food from our kitchen along with drinks. We sat in silent eating the food I made and just watched the people around us. A couple girls were walking by in bathing suits that barely covered them. I smiled my flirty smile and they went into a fit of giggles. I noticed my mom looking at me and saw roll her eyes. The playful glimmer in her eyes was gone in an instant and she froze. I looked at her confused and looked behind me. Some guys were holding hands walking along the beach. I frantically tried to gather everything up when I saw them headed this way. Mom was still frozen and I couldn’t get the blanket in the basket without her off of it.