4

Alden heaved a deep sigh as he watched Maine. She had brought her attention back to her mug, absentmindedly stirring the coffee in it.

She just told him that she couldn't leave her boyfriend because he won't let her, and although he didn't fully understand what she meant, the panicked look that she gave him made him understand that something really bad was going on and that she really wanted escape from it.

"Your boyfriend, does he do this all the time?" Alden inquired.

"No, not all the time. Only when he's mad, or under the influence." she mumbled, her voice so soft that Alden had to move a little closer to hear her.

"Under the influence of... Alcohol, you mean?" Alden clarified.

She nodded. "... and something else."

Alden chewed on his lip again, the way he always did when he was feeling angry. "Maine, you do realize that this is all so messed up and that you can actually get help from the police right? You have everything there to build a case."

She shook her head again and looked like she was about to cry.

"Maine, you can't let him keep doing this to you. When did this start anyway? Jerald said you used to always have a smile on your face," he wondered.

Maine gave a small sad smile. "Jerald... I remember him. He's a nice guy too, but he's lucky he doesn't stay here often."

"What do you mean?" Alden asked curiously.

Maine shook her head once again.

"Maine you gotta make me understand. I want to help you and I need to know what we're dealing with." Alden pushed.

"You really can't help me," Maine said.

"You keep saying that," Alden said, moving to touch her hand. "But I want to help you. No matter what the deal is, I'll do everything."

Maine flinched at his touch and she looked at him with surprise. "Why are you doing this? You don't even know me."

"After what I've seen and what you've told me, I really won't be able to let go of this now. I won't forgive myself if something bad happens to you and I know that I could've done something." Alden said softly, not letting go of her hand.

Something flickered in her eyes as she stared at him. Gratitude? Hope? Something else? Alden really couldn't tell. But he could feel her opening up a bit.

"It's really not that easy, Alden" she answered, and Alden felt a little flutter as he hear her say his name for the first time.

"I'll figure it out. We'll figure it out. Just trust me," he said gently.

They stared at each other for a few moments, not understanding the sudden pull that was building between them - two strangers who didn't even know each other much. His touch on her hand suddenly sent electric currents throughout her whole body and she had to bite her lip.

She blinked twice and shook her head a little, trying to clear it from daze. " I have to go, Alden" she said, gently pulling her hand away from his. "Thank you for the coffee... And the conversation." she said with a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes. Alden wondered when was the last time she had genuinely smiled and somehow his heart ached for her.

"Anytime, Maine," he answered. "And listen. If you need me, for anything, just call me okay?" Alden quickly got his notepad and pen, scribbled his number and handed it to her. "If you can, just knock on my door. I'm almost always here, just writing, so don't hesitate, okay?" He told her.

Maine took the piece of paper but shook her head. "I can't come back here. It will be too dangerous for you. For both of us. This will be the first and last time."

"The rooftop then. If you need someone to talk to, just go to the rooftop. I'll be waiting there, every night, okay?" Alden said urgently as he felt her slipping away again.

She looked at him and studied his expression for a few moments before speaking. "Just promise me one thing..."

"What is it?" Alden asked.

"Whatever you hear when he's at my place, please don't come knocking on the door like you did yesterday," she said.

"What? I can't promise that," Alden protested.

"Please, if you know what's good for you, please don't ever do that." she said and she was on the verge of crying again.

"Maine... "

"If you do that you won't ever see me again," she said and her eyes were almost wide with fright.

Alden sighed. "I'll do what I can to control myself. But if it gets too much, I swear to God I won't be able to stop myself," he said darkly.

Maine swallowed hard. "I have to go. Don't come looking for me okay? I'll come to you." she said.

Alden nodded. "The rooftop. I'll be there everyday."

She nodded and left but not before looking back at him with a grateful smile.