18

Alden laid on the ground clutching his chest, sobbing, reeling, and just gasping for air. He touched the corner of his lower lip which had started to feel numb and felt that it was beginning to swell. He also had a metallic taste in his mouth so he spat on the ground and saw blood.

He pressed his right arm to the ground and push himself up while his left hand clutched his side where Brent had kicked him.

Jerald stepped in to help him up.

"Don't you fucking touch me, Jerald!" Alden spat as he grabbed a tree for support and managed to get himself up. I can still move, my ribs aren't broken, he thought.

"Alden..." Jerald began.

"Don't. Talk. To me." Alden said thru gritted teeth. "I trusted you with my life, Je, and you just fucking blew it." He grabbed hold of another tree trunk as he tried to take a few steps, panting and wincing in pain.

"Dude, I had no choice!" Jerald exclaimed.

"Well, fuck you! Whatever your reasons are, it will never justify your betrayal. Fifteen years of friendship, Je, all down the drain." Alden spat.

"Just listen to me first, okay?" Jerald said. "I know Brent. I knew him from college. I got the unit because of him, with the discounts and all. Brent got hold of me a few hours after you have called me about your plans for escape. He knew you lived in my unit. He knew you're my best friend and he was certain that I was the first person you have contacted when you flee because of my connections and since I travel a lot.

He demanded information and threatened to go after my parents if I don't give him what he wanted. And so I told him you were taking a flight to Palawan that day but I didn't let him know which flight it was. I told him you weren't able to get a definite flight schedule yet. He said he will fly to Palawan that same night and that I needed to show him where you were or else me and my parents would suffer the consequences.

I followed his instructions but I made sure you guys got the help you needed too. I told you about the escape route, and you should've taken the road and not the forest by the way, I gave you the pistol and I even texted you a warning. He thought he had forced me into being on his side the whole time when in fact I have been trying to help you, man"

Alden gave him a cold stare.

"We had but one deal. I will convince you to hand Maine over to him and he promised you won't be hurt. He desperately wanted to kill you but he granted my request in exchange of Maine. Dude, that guy is obsessed. And I'm sorry, I just thought you were trying to steal his girl but I didn't think that Maine actually meant that much to you."

Alden threw his phone fiercely at Jerald. "You clueless son of a bitch!"

"I'm sorry!"

Alden walked over to him and grabbed him fiercely by the collar. "Do you know what Brent does to Maine? When I first met her she was about to jump off the roof. Do you know why? Because Brent had been physically abusing her. She had bruises all over her arms, a swollen lip and there are things he had done to her that she can't even tell me about!

That night we ran away I heard Maine let out a painful scream and when I barged into their room I saw her slumped on the floor with her shirt ripped in all places. That's when I lost it with Brent. Now Brent got her back, can you imagine what he's doing to her now?!" Alden yelled, shaking Jerald hard on the collar as bitter tears started falling from his eyes. He shoved Jerald hard and slumped on the ground beside a tree, sobbing. "If something bad happens to her, Je, I swear to God, I'm not sure I'd ever forgive you."

"Dude, you fell in love with her..." Jerald stated and there was a sound of awe in his voice.

"What took you so long to figure that out?" Alden said bitterly, his hand crunching a fistful of dry leaves fiercely.

"Let me help you then," Jerald said.

"Yea, fuck off." Alden snapped.

"No seriously, let me help you. I know where he's taking her. He asked me to make the arrangements when he got here so I know where he's staying. But we have to move fast because he plans to fly her back to Manila via private plane in three days."