17

Alden quickly stepped in front of Maine and aimed the gun at Brent.

Brent snickered while Jerald stepped forward extending his arms in front of him.

"Put the gun down, bro, it's no use," he said calmly.

"Don't you dare call me bro, traitor!" Alden said angrily at him.

Jerald shook his head.

"Just hand Maine over, Richards, and I will let all the troubles you caused slide." Brent said. "I would even forget that my face almost needed stitches and I won't file any charges. Just hand her over."

"I already told you, Brent, you'd have to kill me first before you can get your hands on her," Alden said acidly, his gun pointing straight at Brent's chest and he felt Maine touch him by the waist.

Brent chewed on his lip angrily, spat on the ground and grabbed one of his guys' guns which he quickly aimed at Alden's head. "And I told you I can arrange that."

"Brent!" Jerald shouted at him in warning.

"Shut up, Jerald, or the deal's over." Brent said thru gritted teeth.

"Alden, put your gun down, man. Can't you see, you're outnumbered! Even if you manage to shoot Brent, this other guy here will shoot you right away. And then they'll have Maine. Is that want you want?" Jerald reasoned at him.

Alden shot Jerald a furious look but he knew what he said was true. His hands trembled a little as he considered his options.

"Maine, come here!" Brent ordered.

"No," Alden said, grabbing her arm and placing a firm hold on it.

"Walk over here, Maine, or we'll shoot the brains out of his head," Brent threatened, and at his words, the other guy positioned himself on Alden's right side and aimed his gun right at his head too.

"Easy, guys" Jerald said forcefully.

Alden felt Maine moving behind him and he grasped her wrist more firmly. "You're not going with him, Maine, not when I'm still here,"

"I'm getting really impatient with you, Richards. I'm just doing your best friend a favor and that's why you can still talk like you do, but I'm so close at just shutting your mouth once and for all. You should know that when I finally do that, you won't actually be my first kill. Maine knows that. Right, Maine?" Brent said fiercely.

"Alden let me go," Maine said and Brent smiled triumphantly.

"Maine..." Alden implored. His hand holding the gun already trembling from weariness as his other hand continued to grip Maine's wrist tight.

At that single moment of distraction, the guy to his right quickly grabbed his hand and twisted his arm to his back, forcing him to drop his gun. The guy kicked the back of his thighs and he was forced down to his knees, then he felt Maine being yanked away from him.

He saw Jerald stepping forward but the second guy stopped him.

He looked up, a little dizzy from the pain on his right arm which the other guy was still holding, twisted around his back and he saw Brent towering above him with a devilish smile on his face.

In an instant he felt Brent's fist collide with his face, several times, and he could hear Maine and Jerald screaming, even as Brent gave him a huge kick on his ribs. He fell over, gasping from pain.

"Goddamit, Brent! You said you wouldn't hurt him!" Jerald yelled.

"Brent, stop, please. I'm coming with you just please stop hurting him!" Maine cried.

Alden felt Maine's hand on his face as he laid on the ground and he moved his hand to touch her, but Brent pulled her away.

Brent knelt beside him and yanked his hair . "I'm not going to kill you, Alden. I'm going to let you live with the knowledge that your desire to meddle actually made Maine's life worse. I'm going to take her now and you won't follow us because if you do, I will kill her... or worse." he whispered menacingly in his ear.

"No funny business, Jerald, or you too will suffer the consequences," Brent told Jerald. "Let's go," he called the other guys and pulled Maine back towards the inn.

"Maine!" Alden called as he saw her look back at him with a defeated look on her face.