9

Maine woke up, sensing the bright light coming from the window, and it took her eyes a few moments to adjust. She turned around, expecting to see Alden sleeping beside her but he was gone. She glanced at the bathroom and saw the door slightly opened.

Where is he? she thought as she slowly sat up on the bed, her heart starting to beat faster than normal. She glanced at the table and saw both of their bags still there.

The door opened suddenly and she gave a little jump, pulling the blanket up to her chin. She let out a huge sigh of relief when she realized it was just Alden, holding two cups of coffee on each hand.

"Hey, you're awake now, good." he said smiling at her. He looked like he had already taken a shower and he smelled really nice. He was wearing a black t-shirt that were a bit loose but somehow still highlighted his broad chest, and the sleeves were tight around his biceps.

"You woke up early," she noticed.

"Yes, I had to. Here, drink some coffee first and then we'll drive by some place to eat a quick breakfast. That's brewed coffee. Good enough," he said as he handed her the cup. "I took the liberty of preparing it for you. Just a little sugar and less than half a teaspoon of creamer, just how you like it." he added.

She smiled at him warmly, touched that he remembered that tiny detail about her. She took a little sip. "It tastes perfect, just how I like it," she said beaming at him.

Alden grinned at her back and for a few seconds his gaze at her lingered, making her blush. He blinked and smiled apologetically before taking a sip of coffee from his own cup.

When they were done, she told him that she will take a quick shower and Alden offered to stay out of the room until she was done changing into fresh clothes.

Less than an hour later, they were back at the counter and Alden was asking the receptionist to help them get a cab or any vehicle for hire that could take them to the airport. He asked if he could leave his car parked there until they get back and the woman agreed after he offered to pay for the parking space. Alden then proceeded to withdraw money from an old ATM near the check in counter.

"Why are we leaving your car?" Maine asked Alden as they waited for the rented car.

"I don't want to take it to the airport. They could trace that we have boarded a plane there," Alden answered.

He grabbed Maine's hand as the rented car pulled over and they both sat on the back seat. The trip to the airport took a total of 3 hours and they arrived at the boarding area an hour ahead of their departure time.

They both bought one donut and another cup of coffee each and sat on one of the tables there as they wait. They finished their food in less than 10 minutes so they decided to sit on the seats provided for passengers waiting for their boarding. Alden arranged both of their caps as they sat, waiting.

He just happened to look back at the entrance when he saw a couple of guys looking around with a piece of paper on their hands. One of the guys moved and Alden caught a glimpse of the piece of paper he was holding and saw Maine's face on it.

He quickly put his arm around Maine's shoulders and gently touched her face and turned it towards him so that half of her face was hidden.

Maine looked at him questioningly.

"Pretend we're making out," Alden said urgently.

"What?" she asked, her eyes wide.

"Pretend we're making out," Alden repeated as he threw a quick glance at one of the guys slowly making his way towards them, looking not too closely at each passenger as he walked.

"Why?" Maine asked.

"Because there are guys here with flyers that have your picture on them, and they are obviously looking for you. Pretend we're making out so I can hide your face fully without being obvious." Alden whispered.

"What am I supposed to d--?"

Alden saw the guy getting nearer so he pulled Maine for a kiss, taking her fully on the mouth and moving his face at an angle that covered half of her face while he covered her other cheek with his palm.

He was surprised when he felt her kissing back, and felt her hand move up to his neck and then crawled around his nape. He kissed her deeply and she responded with as much instancy.

They pulled away after more than a minute, both of them gasping for air with their foreheads against each other.

"Are they gone?" Maine asked, her hand still around his nape.

"What?" Alden asked, still dazed.

"Are the guys gone?" she repeated.

Alden moved his head a few inches to see if the guys were still there but they were gone.

"They left." he told her and they both let each other go. They awkwardly glanced at each other, both blushing, even more when they realized that several people were staring at them.

They quickly stood up as soon as their flight was called for boarding.