23

"Maine..." he whispered, touching her face. He knew he needed to do something but his mind just went blank from shock.

"I... t-tried to... e-escape..." she said with labored breathing and then her face contorted in pain. "It h-hurts so bad..." she added weakly.

"Ssshhh... it's okay. You'll be alright," he said, trying to convince himself more than her. "Stay with me, Maine." he whispered, holding her tight.

"I-it's really... good to... see you." Maine whispered.

"Maine..." he whispered back, holding her closer. "PLEASE GET SOME HELP!" he shouted at the policemen.

"An ambulance is on its way but we need to perform first aid, let her go please," one of the policemen approached them and tried to pry his hands away from Maine.

Jerald came running to his side. "Alden! Shit." he uttered as he saw Maine's pale form.

"Richards! What did I tell you about meddling!" PO3 Martinez walked over to him angrily.

Alden quickly stood up and met him halfway, pushing him angrily on the chest.

"You had all the time to save her earlier and you just stood there like idiots for thirty fucking minutes!" He spat, pointing at the policemen angrily.

"Alden, no!" Jerald yanked him by the arm and grabbed his shoulders so he'd calm down.

"You don't know how these operations work. We were waiting for the perfect timing," PO3 Martinez insisted.

Alden bit his tongue and closed his hands to fists to control himself from lashing out at the policeman some more. The last thing he needed was to get himself arrested for assaulting a police officer.

They heard the sound of the ambulance in less than a minute and he looked at Maine's pale, unconscious form.

"Is she gonna be alright?" he asked the policeman giving her first aid.

"She's still breathing but she's also rapidly losing blood" the policeman answered, not looking at him.

Alden saw that blood was starting to pool on the front of her dress too. The exit wound.

The ambulance finally came and the emergency responders carefully lifted her to a stretcher and then carried her inside. Alden and Jerald got in with the responder's permission and Alden held Maine's hand as they made the trip to the hospital.

"I'm sorry, man." Jerald said as Alden cried on her hand.

++++++

The nurses took Maine as soon as they got to the ER and Alden and Jerald were both ushered to the waiting room.

Alden sat with his head on his hands as they waited. Every minute and every hour that passed by seemed like a block of stone that was being dropped inside his heart, making it more and more difficult for him to breathe.

Maine... Stay with me please.

A doctor approached them three hours later and told him that she was in a stable condition and has just not woken up yet. He didn't know what the doctor meant. Stable condition? No immediate change? Is she gonna be alright or not? He wanted to ask all that but no voice would come out of his mouth.

He walked as if in a daze as he got ushered to the recovery room.

He saw her at once, lying in the middle bed, and although the machines around her indicated stable vitals, the sight of her pale, unconscious form still scared him a lot.

He approached her and touched her hand. "Maine... Maine, please stay with me. I know you're strong, you've been thru a lot in the past two years and now it's finally over. Please don't give up now..." he cried.

"Maine, I can't lose you... Stay with me please."

He stayed there and waited. Crying and praying at the same time, wishing that all of these were just a nightmare.

An hour later, he was told that she could be transferred into a room and that Jerald already made arrangements and took care of everything.

He sat by her side the whole time, waiting for her to finally come back. The doctors kept saying she was in a stable condition, but no one could tell when she's waking up or if she's gonna be alright soon enough.

 The doctors kept saying she was in a stable condition, but no one could tell when she's waking up or if she's gonna be alright soon enough

He fell asleep at almost midnight, holding her hand. A few minutes later, a slight movement in his hand woke him up at once. He looked up and saw her looking at him.

"You're really here..." she said softly.

He nodded, overwhelmed with relief. "I told you I'll be here, didn't I?" he answered, remembering a conversation they had not so long ago.

"Why are you crying?" she asked.

"I don't know..." he whispered.

She raised her eyebrows at him.

"I was so scared I was gonna lose you..." he admitted.

She smiled. "I told you you won't lose me, didn't I?"

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

AN: credits to ate Marby for the hospital photo. Thanks big sis! ❤️