15

Alden quickly glanced at Maine and saw the petrified look on her face as she heard Brent's voice. He considered their chances. It will be about five minutes before Brent and his guys could walk around to where the dining area was and a few minutes more to get to their room. They have to run now!

"Maine, c'mon please." he said pulling Maine up from the chair. Maine seemed to have come back to her senses and stood up. Alden pulled her again and they started running as fast as they could towards their room.

"Lock the door and then stay as far away from it as possible," Alden said as he rummaged through his bag for the gun. When he found it, he checked that the safety was on and hastily placed it behind his jeans

"What's that?" Maine asked frightfully.

"Come on," Alden said, pulling Maine towards the window. "We have to climb off and then walk around the cabin to the back of the lanai," he told her. "Let me jump out first and then I will help you."

He jumped off the window quickly and then held out his hands for Maine. They heard a loud banging on the door just as she hopped off the window and into his arms. They sat on the ground for a few minutes, listening.

"Maine, I've come for you now... Come out!" Brent shouted. He banged the door with his fists again. "Maine! I took a late flight to get to you here, don't make me fucking lose my patience!"

He pounded on the door again, wildly this time.

"FUCK IT! Are you sure they are here?" he asked one of his companions.

Alden took out his phone and dialed Jerald's number so he could tell him to meet them by the road at the end of the trail. He told them to always keep in touch with him, and he needed to know what was going on with them now.

It rang once and he heard a ringing tone from one of Brent's companions. The tone continued its high-pitched trill as Alden's phone rang for Je's number.

"Your phone's ringing," Brent told someone.

Alden narrowed his eyes and glanced at Maine. She looked confused for a second and then her mouth fell open as the same realization hit her.

"He's calling me." said Jerald's voice.