22

Author's Note: Just trust me.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"What are they doing just standing there?" Alden whispered at Jerald as they crouched behind the bushes several meters away from the villa. He could see a group of policemen on the other side. They were also positioned several meters away from the house but their lack of activity was stressing him out. "What are they waiting for?"

"Would you relax?" Jerald hissed, getting annoyed at his best friend's persistent questioning about the policemen's activity and lack thereof. "They obviously have a measured plan in place, they are waiting for the right timing"

"They've been in that position for 30 minutes, what more are they waiting to see?" Alden asked.

They saw a figure walk up the front door and realized, after a second, that it was Brent.

"He wasn't inside? They waited for 30 minutes and he wasn't even inside? They could've taken her out of there in less than 15 minutes!" Alden hissed, completely agitated. "What are they waiting for? Why don't they arrest him now?"

Brent got inside through the front door and the policemen were still waiting in their positions.

"I don't fucking believe this," Alden said, shaking his head. He stood up.

"Get your ass down, dammit!" Jerald said, pulling him back to the ground.

They waited some more with Alden getting more and more distressed by the minute.

"YOU BITCH!!!"

Alden felt like he had been doused with cold water when he heard Brent's angry scream.

"Alden, wait!" Jerald exclaimed, grabbing Alden's arm and yanking him to the ground. "Do not interfere!"

"You did hear Brent's voice, right? He was screaming at her, do you know what that means?" Alden said angrily.

"But they're already moving, look!" Jerald pointed at the policemen slowly moving towards the house.

Suddenly the front door opened and someone started sprinting from it, obviously running for her life.

Maine. She has escaped and is trying to run!

"Alden, wait! Goddammit!" Jerald cursed as he watched Alden run to meet Maine.

Two of the policemen got to her first and she stepped back fearfully.

"Oh my God, no!" she said with a panicked look on her face. She then started running back towards the direction she came from, deciding in a split second to take the route around the villa instead to escape the policemen.

"Miss wait, we're here to help you!" one of the policemen cried out.

Maine was about two meters from the house when the door suddenly opened and out came Brent, limping and holding a pistol in his hand.

Shit, Alden thought as he ran quickly towards her, pushing the policemen out of the way.

"Maine!" he screamed and she glanced at him.

Brent saw him too and with an angry cry he pointed the gun at him and pulled the trigger.

Everything seemed to have gone in slow motion. Alden saw the spark from Brent's gun as the bullet got fired from it, and then Maine running towards him, screaming "No!"

He heard two more gunshots as the police fired at Brent and he watched in horror as Maine faltered with a pained expression on her face.

He made it just in time to catch her as she lurched forward and into his arms. His blood turned cold when he felt something wet on her back and realized when he looked at his hand that it was actually her blood.

"Alden..." she said weakly as she looked at him with a smile on her face.