20

Maine woke up and felt a searing pain on her right temple. She looked around and tried to make sense of her surroundings and found herself inside a plush hotel room.

She was facing a huge window and she could see the seashore from where she was lying. No this isn't a hotel room... It's a villa, she realized.

From the way the sun was shining, she guessed the time to be around mid-afternoon. She tried to sit up but felt a tug on her right wrist and realized that her right hand had been cuffed to the bed post. She pushed herself up and sat leaning against the wall.

"Maine, you're finally up," Brent said as he walked from the veranda into their room. He smiled at her sweetly and then sat in front of her and touched her face.

"Don't touch me!" Maine snapped, moving her face away from his hand.

Brent closed his eyes and sighed, trying to control himself. "I'm sorry," he said. "I'm so happy to have you back and I'm sorry about what happened. I won't hurt you again, I promise. Just do what I say and I won't have to be mad again. We used to be really perfect for each other, right?" he said in an uncharacteristically gentle voice.

"That's right, before you suddenly turned into a monster!" she spat.

He took another deep breath and placed his hand on both her sides. "I know, and I'm sorry. Let me fix this. Let's go back to how we were. I'll be all that you'll ever need, I promise..." he whispered and slowly leaned in to kiss her.

Maine moved her head away and pushed him on the chest using her left hand. He angrily slammed his hand against the wall just a few inches from Maine's head and she flinched.

"I'm trying my best here, Maine! I'm trying my fucking best!" He yelled at her.

Maine was trembling but she tried to keep a calm expression. He loved seeing her scared and this time, she won't give him that satisfaction.

"I don't want anything to do with you!" she said thru gritted teeth.

Brent's hand moved to her throat, almost choking her but not quite. "Is it because of that guy, Maine? Alden?" he demanded. "Did you give yourself to him? Huh? You're mine, Maine, don't you forget that!" he hissed, his fingers tightening their grip with each word.

"Kill me," Maine breathed. "Go on just kill me!"

Brent let go of her quickly and walked out of the room, fuming.

Maine gasped for air as soon as he left and her tears started falling at once. She touched her neck and sobbed against the wall wondering how much more she needed to take before her body finally gives in.

I have to save myself... I have to stop relying on other people for my escape. I've hurt enough people already.

Those words filled her thoughts and suddenly Alden's face flashed into her mind again: From the first time she met him on the rooftop, to the last time she saw him sprawled on the ground after Brendan beat him, and her tears flowed some more.

I need to escape, she decided. She looked around her and tried to find something she could use but there was nothing but soft pillows on the bed, and some random papers on the bedside table. She opened the drawer of the table and rummaged through the things inside. There was a small notepad, a menu from the grill and restaurant outside the villa, the TV remote, and then just at the bottom of a pile of flyers, she found a letter opener.

 There was a small notepad, a menu from the grill and restaurant outside the villa, the TV remote, and then just at the bottom of a pile of flyers, she found a letter opener

The edge was blunt but with proper force, it should be enough to cause injury.

She picked it up, and with uneven breaths and a pounding chest, she began to device a plan.