19

"What are we still doing here, Je, I thought we were supposed to find her fast?" Alden asked impatiently, wincing a bit as he felt the sting of the medication on the deep cut he got over his left eyebrow.

Jerald took him to one of the locals' houses where he was staying, and the old woman who owned it was trying to nurse his cuts and bruises as he sat on one of the chairs at the dining table.

"You know we can't just go in there without back up, or else we'd both end up badly bruised and bloodied up, or worse - dead. And so I asked help from local friends. Another friend of mine is finding back ups now." Jerald explained as he sat on the opposite chair watching him.

"I hope they hurry up. We've already wasted three hours, who knows what Brent's done to her now," Alden said, dropping his face to his hands and letting out a muffled scream against them. "I promised to keep her safe, dammit."

"You shouldn't be too hard on yourself, A, it's almost impossible to overpower those guys. You're no superman," Jerald told him.

"And you shouldn't be giving me this talk right now, Je, because in case you forgot, this was actually your fault," Alden snapped at him.

Jerald sighed patiently. "Again I'm truly sorry, bro. But Brent would've still found you soon enough, with or without my help."

Alden didn't respond because what Jerald said was true. Brent's more powerful than he thought and he seemed to have connections everywhere which made him a very dangerous opponent. He suddenly became more worried about Maine now.

A burly guy about 5'11 came in and gave Jerald a pat on the shoulder. "I brought our back up," he said, pointing to the doorway where two policemen stood looking at them.

What the fuck?

"Je, I thought we agreed that it isn't wise to get the policemen involved?" he hissed at Jerald.

"It's okay, Marco and all the locals here trust them." Jerald said and Marco, the burly man nodded.

"We were told that you needed help in rescuing an abducted friend?" One of the policemen said as they walked in.

Alden nodded, looking at them rather suspiciously.

"I'm PO3 Alfred Martinez and this is PO1 Jose Manalo. Can you tell us what happened?" PO3 Martinez pulled a chair and sat in front of Alden, waiting expectantly for his response.

Alden glanced at Jerald and Marco and they both nodded so he proceeded in telling the policemen all the events that occurred since that night he first saw Maine on the rooftop.

PO3 Martinez listened attentively while scribbling some notes, and from time to time he would throw questions to clarify Alden's statements.

"Why are you only asking help from the police now?" PO3 Martinez finally asked when Alden was done.

"Because we didn't know if you could be trusted. The victim was very wary about getting the police involved because of a past experience. She thinks the police are under Brent's group's power and bidding." Alden told him.

The policeman sighed. "That's the problem with you folks, you stereotype all policemen to be corrupt officials. You assume all of us are bad guys." He said.

"Well maybe if you only guys did what you're supposed to do then people won't have those assumptions," Alden retorted and then he looked down right away. "I'm sorry I didn't mean that," he mumbled.

PO3 Martinez stood up. "Thank you for all these information. We will arrange the rescue mission as soon as possible and will keep you posted about the outcome." he said patting Alden's shoulder.

"You mean we won't be joining you in rescuing her?" Alden demanded.

"Of course not. From now on this will be handled by the proper authorities. This is a police mission and we can't let civilians get involved."

"Do you really expect me to just sit here and wait??" Alden asked angrily.

"Alden..." Jerald warned

"It will be for the best interest of the victim to keep their family, friends and loved ones from getting involved. You wouldn't want to ruin the whole mission with a miscalculated judgement brought by these...emotions." PO3 said simply. "Don't worry, we promise to bring her back to you safe." he added, giving Alden a reassuring smile and another pat on the shoulder before finally leaving.

"I can't sit here and wait," Alden told Jerald as they left. "I just can't."