26

Alden woke up to the sound of his phone vibrating on the bedside table. He picked it up and saw that it was his publisher calling.

"Hello?" he greeted sleepily and looked at the time on the wall clock. 9:45 AM. Whoa.

"Hey Alden! Wait... Did you just wake up?" Ms Fe asked, surprised.

"Uh, yea. Slept late," he answered. He glanced to his side and found Maine still sleeping soundly on her side. He leaned down and kissed her once on her bare shoulder before getting off the bed. "What's up, Ms Fe?" he asked, picking his clothes up from the floor one by one.

"You have some fan mails here in the office and I plan on handing them to you. Will you be home the whole day? I can drive by and drop them or you can meet me at the office," Fe exclaimed.

"Wait, fan mails?" Alden asked.

"Yes. There are about one, two... about six of them and one box, a gift I guess," Fe answered.

"That's weird, the book just got released yesterday," Alden said.

"You call it weird, I call it awesome. There had been pre-orders. Maybe the girls saw your picture on your author's profile and became instant fans?" she offered.

"Hmmm..."

"I guess Maine won't be cool about it?" she asked.

"No, Maine's okay. I just find it weird and well... maybe I'm just not used to it." he answered.

"Well, get used to it from now on. There had been more than 10,000 pre-orders and we haven't checked the numbers from yesterday yet but I heard the sales were great too."

Alden laughed. "It's all Maine. She has that charm and having her photo on the cover is a big help in making it an instant best seller."

Fe gave a little laugh too. "Well, yea, you're right. So, about the fan mail. Do I just drop them there or can you get them in the office?"

"Maine and I actually have plans the whole day. If it's alright, can you just drop them off and leave them in the mailbox. You can leave the gift by the door, I guess. Or hide it behind a plant?" he suggested.

Since they came back from Palawan, Alden and Maine have both looked for new homes. Maine moved into a townhouse with a friend she met during one of her modelling gigs before, and Alden moved into a 1 BR apartment in a nice subdivision.

"Okay then. By the way, how was the proposal? I trust things went well?"

"Yes they did," Alden said smiling.

"Well, congrats on your engagement!" she exclaimed.

"Thanks, Ms. Fe"

"You bet. Bye!" Fe said before hanging up.

Fan mails. Weird.

He went to the kitchen and prepared something for their breakfast. Thirty minutes later, Maine emerged from his room wearing one of his T-shirts. He liked it when she wore his shirts, especially since she looked too cute and sexy in them at the same time.

"Good morning!" She said while stretching. "Ow! My entire body hurts," she complained.

Alden smirked. "Good morning, future Mrs. Richards."

"Hmmm... I like the sound of that," she said, giving him a peck on the lips. "And I like the smell of those bacons too!"

Alden laid the food on the table while Maine watched him, amused.

"Well, ain't I a lucky girl?" she teased.

"You like that, huh?" Alden said, looking at her.

"Oh, it turns me on big time." Maine said with a smile. "So what are our plans for today?"

"Let's start our preparations," Alden said as he sat beside her. "I want to get married to you as soon as possible." he said, just as his phone started vibrating again. He picked it up from the table and saw an unknown number was calling him again.

Maine eyed the phone suspiciously.

"This number kept calling since last night and I forgot to give it a call back since we've been busy," he explained.

He picked up the call. "Hello?" he said, but there was no answer.

"Hello, who's this?" he tried again and once more, there was just silence on the other line. "I can't hear the caller," he said, ending the call.

"Unknown numbers give me the creeps," Maine whispered, looking at her plate.

"Hey," Alden said, touching her arm. "That part of your life is over. Brent's gone. He's behind bars now. And no matter how powerful he is, I doubt he'd still be able to reach his guys when he's all locked up like that. We filed some serious charges against him, Maine. I do get some calls from unknown numbers occasionally, and especially during the past few days. Publishers, publicist, those people who are interested in knowing who this new "future best seller" is. It's nothing to be worried about, okay?"

Maine sighed and nodded.

Alden pulled her in for a hug. "Maine. stop thinking about Brent. It's over now."

"Yeah, I guess..." she said, sighing. She didn't know why but there was a nagging feeling inside her that she couldn't get rid of. She decided it may be the trauma, and that it was deeper than they thought.