21

"What's going on?" Alden asked when he emerged from the room and saw Jerald talking to the policemen from earlier that afternoon.

"They're going to the villa tonight and..." Jerald stopped talking when PO3 Martinez shot him a warning look.

PO3 Martinez turned to him and smiled. "Good afternoon, Mr. Richards. We were just finalizing the plan for rescue and we needed Mr. Cruz's information about your friend's whereabouts."

"Okay. And you're discussing this here instead of inside the precinct office because...?"

"Because we considered what you said about some of the police force possibly being under Brent's power. We don't know that for sure, but we wanted to keep this mission within the circle of people we trust in the department. At least until we are able to carry it out successfully." PO3 Martinez explained.

"When are you planning to do it?" Alden asked.

"We can't tell you. As I've told you earlier, we can't risk you failing this mission. Emotions tend to overcome our better judgment, and as far as I can see, you're filled to the brim with that. We'll keep you posted," the policeman said as they left.

Once at the door, PO3 Martinez turned back to him. "Don't do anything stupid, Mr. Richards."

Alden stared at Jerald as soon as PO3 Martinez closed the door.

"Alden..." Jerald warned.

"Do you want to redeem yourself now?" He asked him simply.

"What are you thinking?" Jerald asked, looking at him worriedly.

"Take me to where she is tonight."

++++++

"Maine..." It was Brent, calling her gently as he entered their room again.

After what happened between him and Maine earlier that afternoon, he went to a local bar and hooked up with another tourist. Sex usually drains all the anger and intense emotions he has inside and if he couldn't get it from Maine, he usually gets it from someone else. Now he was feeling much better again.

"What do you want, Brent?" Maine snapped, not looking at him. It was around 7 in the evening and Maine was lying on her side, on the bed, and was looking morosely out the window.

Brent sat on the bed behind her and slowly laid beside her. "I'm sorry. I hurt you again and I'm sorry. It's just that, I'm really trying to make it better for you... for us, but you're being so stubborn. You know what it is that ticks me off right?" he said, moving closer to her and touching her waist.

Maine recoiled at his touch and squeezed her eyes tight, not responding.

"Let's work together, Maine. Just do what I want and I'll do what you want," he said, kissing her shoulder. "Tell me, what do you need from me now?"

Maine took a deep breath before speaking. "I need to be able to trust you again." she told him.

"Ok, baby. I promise, no more cheating," he said hastily, happy that she seemed to be warming up to him again.

Maine rolled her eyes, thinking about all the times he had promised one thing and then ended up breaking it anyway. Most times in just less than hour. Just like a while ago...

"That's not all... I need you to stop hurting me," she said.

Brent paused. "I can't promise that now. You know how I get when I'm angry, and you make me angry a lot. But I promise to try my best." he said.

Maine sighed.

"What else, baby?" he asked, pulling her shoulder so she would face him and then started kissing her by the ear.

"Brent, wait." Maine said, pushing him slightly away.

"What is it?"

"How can I trust you if you're going to keep me like this," she said, looking at her cuffed hand. "Is this really necessary, because it's ruining it for me big time."

A dark look crossed Brent's face. "You might try and escape again." he told her coldly.

"Like I can escape you, Brent. You even have your goons waiting outside making sure I don't escape."

"I made them leave. I can handle you myself," he said indignantly.

"Well that's true. And I think you've already proven enough times that I don't have any escape from you," she told him.

Brent smirked, proud of himself. "Good point. Let me get the key." he said, and he fished for it inside his pocket, and hastily removed the cuff from her hand. "Is that better?"

Maine massaged her wrist a little. "Yea, so much better," she said with a small smile. "Now do you want to continue what you were doing earlier?" she told him sweetly.

Brent smiled, turned her face to the side and started kissing her on her left ear and down to her neck. As he did that, Maine slowly fished for the letter opener she placed just underneath the blanket. She waited for the perfect timing, her chest heaving with nervousness and anticipation. She counted to five and when Brent's hand moved to her waist, she gave him a forceful and swift stab to the back, just below his shoulder, and then another one on his side. Finally she stabbed the letter opener to his thigh near his crotch and then kneed him hard on his groin. She didn't know where she got her strength from, but her actions caused a lot of damage especially since Brent wasn't expecting them.

She quickly got off the bed as Brent doubled up in pain and ran briskly towards the door.

"YOU BITCH!" Brent shouted as she ran, leaving the door open.

She sped to the villa's front door and kept running through the garden, certain that he'd be following her any minute now and hoped that someone would see her soon and help her out.