6

AN: Some scenes may be too sensitive and violent. This book is dark and twisted. Please skip this now if you think this isn't for you. Reader discretion is strongly advised.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maine sat on her bed that night, fiddling with the edge of her blanket. Her worries were starting to eat her again. She remembered the determined look on Alden's face when he said that he will die trying to save her, and now she's more than scared for him.

She didn't mean to tell him everything, but as soon as she started talking about it, the words just kept pouring out of her mouth. She realized she had been wanting to tell someone about it for a long time.

She had kept her mouth shut about her situation ever since one of the maintenance personnels of the condominium was found murdered a couple of blocks away from the condo four months ago. She was an older woman, around mid forties who had been the person Maine had been talking to about her woes before. She was a friend she had found when one day they rode the elevator together and the woman noticed the bruises on her neck and arms.

Desperate to get some help, she told the woman everything. From the physical abuse she was getting, to Brent's use of illegal drugs and the circle he was in and her wanting to escape from him again. The last time that they spoke, the woman told her that she had gone to the police for help and Maine had been very hopeful that she would finally be saved. That evening though, she found out that the woman had been found dead. When Brent went to her unit that same night, she got her punishment for talking. Until now she's still desperately trying to forget most of the things he did to her that night.

She had lost her hopes of being saved and she had wanted to end her life too many times. She believed that death was her only escape from the hell that she was in. She had no one. Both her parents were gone and she had no brothers nor sisters.

A few nights ago she had almost jumped off the roof of their building, but then Alden came and saved her... and he'd been trying to save her since.

She didn't know how he planned to help her, but his presence gave her hope. For the first time since she had been brought to her hell, she felt safe again. There was just something about Alden's gentle yet firm hold and his reassuring voice that made her feel secured.

She just hoped for both their sake that he knew what he was doing.

++++++

It was the middle of the week and Maine just got home from a photoshoot. She was getting ready to sleep when she heard a loud knock on her door.

She paused, her heart beating fast. She glanced at the clock and saw that it was almost midnight. Brent didn't usually come so late at night around this time of the week because of their schedules and she wondered why he had suddenly decided to pay her a visit now.

She opened the door and saw him leaning against the doorway with his arms on both sides of the door frame. He was wearing a bitter smile on his face. His eyes were bloodshot and he was obviously drunk, or high, or both.

"Brent..." she said, slowly stepping back.

"Maine," he said coldly, his eyes boring into her. Maine took another step back. "I just got hold of some news this afternoon that really pissed me off." he said, taking menacing steps towards her.