Chapter 9

3:57 PM

Dawn and I return home after the welcome party that Sal and Q threw came to an end, with smiles still formed on our faces. We couldn't stop smiling, yet we still couldn't believe that they, Sal Vulcano and Brian Quinn from Impractical Jokers, are our new neighbours. We have their numbers and we honestly don't know what to expect next.

I slam the door behind me and told Dawn that I was going to call mom.

Before I did though, I checked my Twitter and noticed that I got quite a few notifications on it. I opened the app and it was from the post I posted last night. It's the four photos of me, my sister and the Jokers. I got a few retweets and quite a few comments. Stuff like 'OMG No way!' and 'Damn girl, you're so lucky!'. I do feel lucky. I reply to all the the comments by thanking them.

I suddenly remember about my best friend Ashley. She's probably waiting for the videos I need to send to her, so I sent her the videos that I recorded of the Jokers saying hello to her through WhatsApp. A short while later, she replied:

"OMFG AAAAAHHHH! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I LOVE YOU!" she wrote in full caps.

"Hehe, no probs girl!" I reply. I didn't get a reply from her after that, and I knew it's because she's watching the videos I sent her over and over. She's a big fan like me. It makes me curious about who she fancies. I giggle when I thought of Murr. They might have stuff in common, like ferrets.

I scroll through my contacts list and found my mom's number. I pressed the call button and waited for her to pick up.

"Hello?" mom says.

"Hi mom!" I say back, feeling good to hear her voice.

"Oh hi Mel!" mom chuckles. "I though I was the one who calls you to check on things?"

"Well, I saved you the trouble, I guess." I say as I sit down on the sofa, making myself comfortable. "How's work?" I ask, pretending to act interested. Yeah, like I have any interest in what my mom does for a living. It's boring.

"Work is just fine dear. Thank you for asking." mom thanks, instantly knowing how apathetic I am of her work. "How was the live show?" mom asks.

I widen my eyes, knowing that the question would pop up. "The show was fantastic!" I reply joyfully. "Best night ever! The meet and greet was the best part!" I soon added after a slight pause.

"That's so wonderful to hear! I'm so glad you girls had a great time. I'd love to go to one of their shows one day." she says. "Oh, did the new neighbour move in?" mom asks.

My face turned pale as I looked outside through the window. I could see Sal and Q thanking our other neighbours for stopping by as they leave. I could feel my throat drying up, unsure of what to tell my mother.

"Actually...no. In fact, Mrs. Norville told me this morning that the new neighbour wont move in until tomorrow." I lie coldly. I never lied to my own mother before, but what else could I say? Hey mom, Sal Vulcano and Q are our new neighbours.

Come to think of it, I'm already regretting what I said. And not only that, but I've used Mrs. Norville as an excuse. Shit. Poor old gal. It's too late to tell her the truth now. I'll have to wait for another time. 

"Oh, well, that's a shame. I could have sworn that the new neighbour would be moving in today." mom said in disbelief. "Are you sure?" she asks, making sure that what I'm saying is true.

I narrow my eyes at my sister, who was listening to the conversation I'm having. "Positive." I answer slowly. For a brief moment, there was no sound coming through the phone. Maybe she already knows I'm lying. "So um...I'll let you get back to work." I talk at last.