Chapter 11

MONDAY / JULY / 2016

10:46 AM

I couldn't sleep last night. My only thoughts are on Patrick. The one who asked me to be his girlfriend. The one who took me to the park where there was nothing but the stars glittering in the sky, the crickets chirping in the background, along with the crashing waves. The one who gave me my first kiss. The most memorable kiss. The one who took me to the city and shared pizza together. The one who insisted that I should go out with my celebrity crush; Sal Vulcano.

Even though Patrick and I were dating for a short period of time, he wants what's best for me and he thinks, no, believes that I have a shot at him. At first, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to do this. Yes, I have a crush on him, but I never thought that I would consider in actually doing this. I had no idea that Patrick would go out with me, then...I don't know, dump me, just so I can go out with a man I had a crush on. Honestly, if this relationship between Sal and I works out, then my only concern would be my mom. I still haven't told her that Sal and Q are our new neighbours. Perhaps it isn't too late. I could make things right. I'll tell her today.

I groan, moaning about my head that hurts in such agony. I squint noticing a tall object standing on my desk. It's a bottle. Great, I've been drinking again. Why though? I'm sure there's a good explanation. It's probably stuff from last night. Thankfully I don't remember that much before I went to bed.

I sat myself up, put on my pink fluffy slippers and went downstairs to make myself breakfast. I find Dawn eating her cereal and from the looks of things, she grabbed two bowls. How sweet.

I sat down next to my sister, who seems to be giggling for some reason. I had to know why.

"Okay, I need your help with something; can you tell me what the hell did I do last night?" I groan, pouring in some Cheerios in my bowl, my other hand on my head.

"Let's see..." Dawn places her kunckle under her chin and starts to ponder about last night. "Well, you came home, had a few too many glasses of red wine, blathered about Chinese and Italian food not mixing together, threw up and passed out on your bed. Just the usual." Dawn answers, still giggling.

"Few too many?" I exclaim. "Geez, I guess it explains why my headaches were starting to get worse. And I'm surprised that I was actually able to get changed into my pajamas." I pour in my milk and start eating. "I should stop..." I mutter to myself.

"You should." Dawn agrees. "So anyways, how was your date with Patrick?" Dawn pops up the question, saying his name reminding me of his cute face. "Did you kiss?"

"The date was great. It went very well. And yes, we kissed." I answer, taking a short breath before I continue. "But, at the end, Patrick and I decided that it's best if we stay friends." I finish. Dawn glares at me. It was kind of creepy.

"What?" Dawn asks. "He just asked you out last night! What happened?"

"I guess we don't have that much in common than we thought we would." I lie. I watch Dawn eating her breakfast, and she's still giggling. So now I know that it isn't the date with Patrick. "Why are you giggling? Is it me? Did I do something stupid?" I ask nervously, hoping I didn't do something stupid last night. Something that Dawn isn't telling me.

She shook her head. "No, it's not you." Dawn says. "I saw something this morning." Dawn adds, continuing to eat her cereal.

"Perhaps you could tell me a little more than that." I scoot closer to her, curious to hear more about what she saw.

"It's Sal." Dawn whispers. Okay, whatever she saw, she really shouldn't be doing it. Why did she do it though?

"Dawn, you really shouldn't spy on them. It's wrong. You must respect their privacy. You could have seen things that you really shouldn't see." I would carry on, but Dawn wouldn't stop giggling. Okay, now I'm really curious. "Ok, I need to ask, but what did you see?" I ask.