Chapter 22

10:32 PM

I waved goodbye to my friends, who are going to stick around at Ashley's place for a little bit longer, and made my way to the car. I just hoped they can keep their promise. And I'll be definetly using their tips on making the relationship better. I swung the door open and slid inside behind the wheel, made myself comfortable, chucking my duffel bag on the passenger seat. I insert the key in the ignition, turned it to bring the engine to life, and drove home. Once I arrived at the sweet little cul-de-sac, I parked my Prius in the driveway in the usual spot, and stepped out of the car once the engine had died.

At the same time, Brian, wearing a grey flat cap and a blue Superman t-shirt, opened the door and walked outside. He spots me as I walk up to my front porch.

"Hey Brian. Did you look after my sister like I told you to?" I firmly questioned.

Brian raised his hands. "Relax. Everything is fine. And, as promised, I told Hurricane Katrina to fuck off, so no mess." Brian informs me proudly.

"Thank you Brian." I thanked him. "I appreciate you doing this. I'm not going to let you babysit her every single day, but-"

"Are you kidding? I enjoy keeping her company while you're out and about. If you ever need someone to babysit Dawn, you know who to call."

"That's real sweet of you. Actually, I'm going out with Sal again in a few hours, so..."

"What time?"

"Three."

"I'll be there."

After Brian tipped his hat, he walked passed me, patting my shoulder before making his way back home. I called his name, because I just remembered something. He turned around and waited for me to say something. "I want to say thanks for convincing the crew to air the footage of me for the episode."

Brian smiled. "No problem! You're an actress, you shouldn't be cut out." Brian winked, then soldiered on home.

I walk inside the house, relieved to look at the house all tidy, like he said it would, and found my sister Dawn watching TV.

"Guess who's back?" I announced, which sounded a little bit like an Eminem song.

Dawn jumped from the sofa, looking strangely anxious. "Who?" Dawn asked.

"Me, you dummy." I shook my head.

"Geez, don't do that! For a second, I thought you brought mom back home!" Dawn sat back down on the couch, her head laid back.

"Why on planet Earth would I ever want to bring mom home?" I placed my duffel bag on the coffee table in front of me and Dawn, then sat down next to her. "We're just getting this party started!"

"So how was your sleepover?" Dawn asked me nonchalantly.

"Trust me, all the stuff you hear about what girls do in sleepovers, you're not missing anything." I cross my arms, trying to take an interest in watching TV with Dawn. "How was your day? Did you have fun with Brian?"

"I most certainly did. Brian told me that he's going to bring his cats to the house."

"He hasn't brought his cats with him?" I said in a surprised tone.

Dawn shook her head. I'd assume Brian would have brought his three cats, Benjamin, Chessy and Brooklyn, to the new house. I could only think of the reason why he hadn't brought his feline friends with him is because of Sal. "Joe was watching his cats while he moved, but now that the house is finished, he wants to bring them home, cause he loves them too much. Oh, and don't tell Sal about this. Brian wants this to be a surprise." Dawn tapped her fingers against each other like an evil genius.